Page 1 of 3
Mazda Projects \  1984 Red B2000 SE5

1984 Red B2000 SE5

Mazda Projects
views 11133
replies 22
following 10

roflwaffle   +1y
Truck finally arrived, so I dove right in..

As it arrived:
thread post photo

Not a bad starting point for a new tool truck. It's a one owner (now 2) with original paint and 50k miles on it. My last one is quite ratty and started rusting to pieces on me (in the PNW no less!), so I figured for its replacement I'd start with something a bit cleaner. I was thinking about going with an '86, but this one popped up, and I kinda prefer the graphics, not quite as gaudy as 70's sundowners, but still looks different enough. Engine should be easy enough to work on, lot's of space.

Did a quick clean on the engine bay, now it's ready for surgery.
thread post photo

The original tailgate (left) looks nice and all, but the backside of it is smashed in, and it looks like they painted it with housepaint. So, I picked up an 81 from the junkyard (all I could get), and while the logo isn't quite as bold, it's in much better shape.

thread post photo

Same deal with the back wall of the truckbed. Previous (first) owner used it for some business, and the bed got thrashed. Found a better shape piece (bottom). It's a bit oxidized, but it'll polish right up.
thread post photo

And finally, removed the wood rails for now (since it's a tool truck they'll prob go back someday after I clean 'em up or rebuild em). Then I removed the owners name (it was painted on). Bon Ami and Oven cleaner worked great.

thread post photo

I'm still not sure what to do about the chrome lower plates. Again owner claims they're OEM, but I'm guessing they're either hiding some rust, or removing them would leave some nasty adhesive that I won't be able to get off, so unless I can find a way to safely remove them, they're probably staying. Nothing wrong with them, I just prefer the look without.

Oh yea, and it currently runs like a wet fart. Burnt valve and who knows what else. But, I'd rather have a crap engine and good condition than vice versa, easier to find parts/fix.

Alright, back to it.

Let me know what ya think. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I work through it.

Oh, and if you happen to have an 84 you're parting out, I have a [url=p346927:138ijwil]WTB
Post was last edited on Nov 30, 2013 02:11. This post has been edited 4 times.
spacemonkee23   +1y
Looks great! I'd keep the chrome. I believe it was a factory option. Keep at it and more pics please!
roflwaffle   +1y
Thanks, I'm sure the chrome will grow on me, it's pretty well on there anyway

Some more pics of tonight's endeavors

Interior with some rando Mazda floor mats I had around, needs a good clean
thread post photo

While at junkyard, found this on a 79.. I like the color and the tokyo roki... for $10, eh.. whynot. It'll clean up nice (thats mostly grease and whatnot and not rust).. doesn't add anything, but while I have the head off might as well switch it up a bit.
thread post photo

And, the worst of it. The seats are ripped. Doubt there's much hope to find one in nicer shape, so I started repairing it as best I could. Eventually I'll get them recovered, but for now, a repair will do.
thread post photo

Alright, that's it for tonight. Could use some wheel recommendations to go with vaguely stock. I think some moon wheels/dog dishes would probably be at home. Don't want to go too nuts with it, but I'm open to suggestions. Need to find a machine shop in Seattle as well to lap the new valves.
Post was last edited on Dec 08, 2013 04:12. This post has been edited 2 times.
chaserjohndoe   +1y
need more pics of that Datsun next to it. The truck looks right at home. I love when people try to keep there vehicle period correct. I am doing the same with my toy truck.
snddoc1   +1y
Sweet ride! I recently got another 84 myself. I wish it was that clean though. Your old tailgate is way cleaner looking than mine, lol. I'm trying to decide if I want to put another 2.0 in or do an LSX motor. I am also picking up a couple of cab plus 91's. Mine is the same color as yours, and is also an SE5. Enjoy her, this is #19 for me. I have always loved these trucks.
roflwaffle   +1y
Thanks. the tailgate looks fine from the front, but the back of it is toast.

Not much update today, did some rust/paint cleanup. Installed tailgate. Time to pull the head and see whats going on with the engine. Anything I should check up on while I have it off?

Still figuring out what else to do to the truck. I'm guessing just wheels and maybe a rollpan since it's not much for towing anything anyway and my bumper is a bit junk. So.. not completely going stock. Anyone deal with Grant Kustoms? Also, any experience with Dash Designs replacement seat covers? they look like they fit better than normal covers, but they're a bit lacking in descriptions...
roflwaffle   +1y
Pulled the head today.

thread post photo

Guess I know why it was running like crap (I had guessed bad exhaust valve).

and here's the head
thread post photo

I'll check it for leaks, and see what else I can do before reinstalling it.

anyone have any recommendations on head gasket brands that may hold up a bit better?

I see Mccord, beck/arnely, corteco, fel-pro, ITM, and Victor Reintz on rockauto.. Not done a head gasket before, so not sure how much brand matters.

I'm prob going to go with fel-pro unless someone can recommend something better (is stock one worth lookin for?)
snddoc1   +1y
That's the same problem mine had between 1 and 2 I used a Felpro. I had to change my head too. Somebody had damaged it cleaning it before.
gilligansdingy   +1y
Nice clean truck.
mazdarod   +1y
Nice clean truck! Look forward to seeing the progress in this!