Page 1 of 2
Mazda Projects \  Losing the computer

Losing the computer

Mazda Projects
views 3925
replies 12
following 7

geterdun   +1y
I have a '90 2600i. I have put 4.3 Vortec in, sweet fit. I am going with an '85 distributor, Rochester 4 barrel. This would be an immediate jump from 110 horses to about 190?
I have yanked the computer out. My question is: Are there any wires to/from the computer I need to connect, for ease of completion?
Any other tricks to save time will be appreciated.
mazdaman82   +1y
the only thing i can think of is the wire for the tach... i did a 302 swap and thats all i had to run if i remember right...i was runing a carb as well
geterdun   +1y
I was wondering about that. May I dream of a switch to change from 4 to six cylinder?
toddluck   +1y
4.3 sweet man
beatmymini   +1y
let me now how the swap goes. i have a 4.3 in my garage that i'm building for my truck.
geterdun   +1y
4.3 is a sweet fit. For auto have to redesign shifter on bottom end. Motor mount can be designed using original mounts! Lower cross member, I can give you the details of redesigning it. I made a drawing of the automatic tranny shift arm. I used Astrovan rear mount, redesigned to use frame holes on each side.
Exhaust manifolds may be found, I just cut and redesigned mine to clear. I am back on it, trouble shooting what wire where.
If/when you do it, label water-proof ink on masking tape (cover this tape with clear waterproof tape) and make a list (color) of wires you will use: distributor, starter, temp gauge, oil pressure, a/c, alternator AS YOU DISCONNECT THEM.
geterdun   +1y
Update, 4.3 in running, driven, burnt (just the engine compartment, more wiring), Dual feed/pump carb must have overflowed, needle in back reservoir, fried the fuel lines right off. Plus fried the new battery and anything else of importance, .... or not on that side of the engine.
fried quad lifted and two barrel in place.
Don't forget to run fuel put GROUND to the oil pressure switch. No oil pressure, no endless supply of fuel to the fire. Don't even think about opening the hood with out a fire suit on if this were to happen, down by the lake (the 5 gallon pail was a little help, not sure how little).
The truck really does not want you to do that as long as it has fuel left in it's tank, without finding a 3-4' piece of pipe to lift the hood with, AFTER you figure out how to lift the safety latch on the hood latch, AND raise the hood!
Or at least I have heard of this happening somewhere, don't ask.

The install is so easy, especially now, everything is bolt in. I am going to get another ext cab, pull everything out of this one and bolt it up in the new one. Exhaust and all, made to fit.

When I do this, anyone who wants a picture and/or print of a part, flag me I will try to accommodate.

I will not have to hunt a parts truck!
dealwithit   +1y
ouch, sorry to hear that, hopefully your back up and running soon. oh and take pics and post them
befarrer   +1y
Wouldn't you have been better off installing a mechanical pump to the engine and remove the EFI in tank pump, unless you have a regulator to regulate the 40+ PSI down to the 2-3 PSI that a carb needs.
geterdun   +1y
I disconnected the pump in the tank. The pump for the carb will pull through it. I will clip the tank pump and connect the new pump to that wire.