threads
Page 1 of 3
Mazda Projects \  Mazda B3500 4x4 (Rover V8)

Mazda B3500 4x4 (Rover V8)

Mazda Projects
views 10121
replies 20
following 9

artimus   +1y
All,

I am finally going to start work on converting my 88' B2600 to a rover all Alum V8, my G54B died last night, I think the truck was tired of my procrastinating.

Ive got these goals:

* Keep 4x4 - By adapting the Mazda tranny, this should be fun.. ive not owned an Arc welder in like 7 years.
* Fuel Injection setup on the 3.5
* At least 200 bhp
* Eventually sit it on 33's if I can find a lift kit, only need 2 inches I think.

Attaching some pics I have so far

Good Block:
[url=5470655339/:dgplqguc]
thread post photo

[url=5470655339/:dgplqguc]Block heads and crank

Bought another one for parts, full efi and all mounts/ pully's etc.. even got 2 Y pipes
[url=5470648877/:dgplqguc]
thread post photo

[url=5470648877/:dgplqguc]Brought the new block home

Parts block again.
[url=5470645161/:dgplqguc]
thread post photo

[url=5470645161/:dgplqguc]Parts block

Close-up of good block:
[url=5471261250/:dgplqguc]
thread post photo

[url=5471261250/:dgplqguc]Good v8
iculookn42   +1y
Good project. keep it up and welcome.
baha   +1y
I'm looking forward to watching this build. I love lifted Bs!
artimus   +1y
Just a quick update on the project:

Engine and parts are ready to be assembled for the most part, I have chosen some 10.5:1 Pistons which should give me a nice bump in HP, ive not yet decided on getting the rhodes lifters or not. The cam is going to be as large as I can get without having to shave the retaining surfaces on the heads, roughly 478 lift/292 adv duration. The water pump was going to stick out too far, but I have found an electric pump that will do the job for less than what it would cost to get another mechanical pump.

The transmission of course is now my main issue, going to be working with local shops on this one to figure out how to go about making the bellhousing, one neat note is that the Rover clutch disc fits perfectly on the Mazda tranny input shaft

The hood isnt going to be large enough to fit the EFI intake plenum, but I think the base can be shaved and that wont be a problem (I want this to be a sleeper more or less)

Exhaust still needs to be figured out, but I will do this when that time comes. At this point I was thinking of doing something Mad-Max style out the rear only recessed

So progress is still being made, although the Mazda trans may be ditched if I can find something better that will mate to the Rover block.
winslow33   +1y

Just an idea, but why not fab up a hood scoop like so? Looks awesome on a B would give you enough room for the intake

thread post photo

artimus   +1y
Just a quick update on this:

Rove engine build is at a pause, I wanted to be sure I could find a transmission that would link to it that wasn't a rover/ford auto. I found a place called D&D Fabrications that makes an adapterbellhousing for a T5. Went to the local yard and pulled a T5 with a t/c from a 88 jimmy/s10.. the only problem is that the t/c is left hand drop.

Now trying to figure out they way down options:
1. Replace the TCase with something else with righ-hand drop... but what? anyone know much about T5's?

2. Replace the front and rear axle.
This can be done, but I dont know what a good donor vehicle would be? Any help is appreciated. I know a few people here have swapped axles

There is a third qwerk, in that I need to find some sort of shifter relocation for the T5, because right now it is 10" farther forward than the old mazda shifter was.
v8xcab   +1y
I'll sell my project hood for cheap!!!
artimus   +1y
Getting CLOSER!!

Updates:

* heads are being worked on at the shop
* T-5 from an 84' Firebird (perfect fit with D&D BellHousing), shifter lines up almost perfect!

I had to rip the front diff out because the engine wouldnt fit I think in the future I may replace both diffs with some better units and convert it to left hand drop so I can use the stock np231 and T5 from an S10.

Looking now for a a full set of 31"s for the wheels?? any suggestions?
artimus   +1y
Progress!

This weekend I put the built-engine and transmission into the truck.

Things that remain:
* Fuel system - Need swirl-pot and HP fuel pump, recommendations?
* Flywheel - I found a custom one on Ebay thats aluminum and will fit a GM pressure-plate that will work better with the FireBird T-5
* Driveline - Will need to take this to a shop to have it spliced together
* Electric Water pump - wiring needed
* New EFI harness - wiring needed
* Speedometer cable adapter - ? suggestions?
* Mount the remote oil-filter setup
* Shifter - Need to find a nice and inexpensive one for the T-5
* Exhaust - Straight pipes?
* Transmission mount - I need to fab this still.

Engine Mount and mockup block:
thread post photo

Short-block Assembled:
thread post photo

Engine in bay:
thread post photo

thread post photo
artimus   +1y
More updates (Sorry, life has been in the way of thing as of late - its been some crazy years - really)

Things I have done:
* Installed external fuel pump + two filters (1 before and 1 after)
* Engine and trans are in the truck (Rover v8 + T-5 from a 84 Firebird)
* sliced up the driveline - made a machup for someone that will do a nice job with the proper tools (not me)
* cut the shifter hole - really needed to only trim about an inch from the bottom of the tunnel

What remains:
1. Electrical wiring in engine compartment
2. prime the oil in the rover
3. bolt-up starter (need electrical diagrams etc first)
4. Power steering? Maybe an electric unit from a Cobalt or some other? suggestions?
5. Exhaust - Need to buy some sticks of steel/stainless and have them bent + mufflers
6. Wire up the electric water pump/fans
7. Oil filter relocation kit needs to be bolted somewhere
8. Break-in

Asks - if anyone has:
1. Single shifter boot - mine is dual because it WAS 4x4
2. Wiring diagram for the 88' Carb'ed 2600/2.6/g54B - ive searched the forum, maybe im bad at searching?