Page 1 of 1
Mazda Wheels Tires \  header install

header install

Mazda Wheels Tires Mazda Tech
views 793
replies 6
following 3

z2000   +1y
So I'm installing my pace setter tomorrow. Wondering if I need to make a heat shield or get some heat wrap for the header to cut back on the excess heat from the header? I don't think it would ad too much heat but a second opinion is always best so anything helps! Thanks in advance guys!
chaserjohndoe   +1y
Heat wrap voids warranties. Plenty of air space I say bolt on and leave alone.
z2000   +1y
Sweet thanks man. I was planning on it. Just needed another persons opinion! I'm going to strip the coating and put a fresh coat of some 2000 degree paint on it!
anguswilly   +1y
If you want the paint to stick you'll need to sandblast it. depending on your use you might find the headers last just fine with heat wrap and the under hood temps will drop huge - there is a reason why they use it. Underhood heat causes power loss and can partially negate the HP gains from a header.

Yes it can shorten the life of mild steel headers especially but the benefits outweigh that I think. If you want a real solution, get them ceramic coated.
z2000   +1y
I think I'm going to get me some heat wrap. I'm going to wash it with laquer thinner then sand it with 150 grit then 400 then I'm going to paint it with high heat paint. 2000 degree. That's if I don't go with the heat wrap.
anguswilly   +1y
The paint won't stay like that, trust me.

Just wrap it and paint the wrap after, it seals it. That is how we do it here.
z2000   +1y
Okay sweet thanks for the pointer man! I honestly think that heat wrap looks good! Makes it look rugged. On top of that is pretty freaking hot here in salt lake!
Page 1 of 1