Page 1 of 1
Mazda Wheels Tires \  Question about tires

Question about tires

Mazda Wheels Tires Mazda Tech
views 816
replies 5
following 4

chuck norris   +1y
Got a two part question coming. The previous owner of my B2200 has a set of 16-inch wheels, Chevt 6 lug, he's going to let me have. I'm aware that I have to either cut off mounting tabs or have them bored out, and I'll figure out which later.

Here's the questions: First, ideally, to keep an overall diameter about that of the factory tire size for these trucks, something around 205/55r16 sound right?

Second question: my truck currently has factory 14" wheels. They aren't sexy, but I could keep them and not even use the 16's. Here is my dilemma... I'm broke as a joke and I always buy used tires. Never got a bad one. Used 14's are pretty darn hard to find. Is it any easier to find used 16's? I hear they're getting harder to come buy - but as hard to find as 14's?
fdugn545   +1y
In my experience used 16 inch tires are much easier to come by... I too am a master of the used tire! I'm having a bitch of a time finding some 215/45/17s for my wife's ride...

Sent from GS2 on Tapatalk
dan woodland   +1y
Question guys, how many miles do you get on a used tire, on average? I ask because if you need three sets of used tires compared to one set of new in the same number of miles are you really saving anything? I'm thinking of mounting and balancing cost and your time as well (having to take time to go have a tire replaced, dropping off the wheel or car etc).

A couple assumptions:
I assume you are not regularly finding used tires with more than 50% tread life and I mean usable tread life. Around here I wouldn't think of using tires after you get to the wear bars.

I'm also assuming you don't have free access to tire mounting equipment and supplies.
mazdaridinlow89   +1y
14s are getting rare but if you look around you can find pretty good deals on new tires. Just google your tire size and see. I recently put a new set of 205/40/16 on my truck for 350 bucks. But i mounted them myself. Anyways, thats dirt cheap compared to some tires i found which cost ~150 a piece! Im not rich or anything close to it but i got a set of used tires to run while i saved up for my new set. Ive had some bad experiences with used tires.
fdugn545   +1y

I actually have a friend who mounts and balances tires for free for me (well actually for a few beers!)

Just saying...

Sent from GS2 on Tapatalk
chuck norris   +1y
I have a friend who will mount and blance for me for free, as long as I show up on his lunch break. I have gotten a year out of a set of used tires, and once only got two years out of a new set (they were on a brand-new Corolla in 2000.) Sometimes I only get 6 months out of a tire. But if my alignment is right and there's no other issues, it's usually worth it. I almost always get them in twos, and ride cheap and easy. New ones just aren't an option for me - no credit, no cash, no nuthin'.
Page 1 of 1