Page 1 of 2
Mazda Wheels Tires \  Got New 16x7, +39 Wheels - Need Tire Size Help on 3" Drop

Got New 16x7, +39 Wheels - Need Tire Size Help on 3" Drop

Mazda Wheels Tires Mazda Tech
views 3471
replies 11
following 5

ultravtec757   +1y
Ok, so I have a 87 B2000 2wd with all stock 2wd sheetmetal (I want to keep it all 2wd sheetmetal) and I had to get some wheels for my truck - since the wheels that came on it are too low of an offset. My truck came on 16x7, +15 steel 4runner wheels on 4x4 tires. Since then, I have put 4 matching used Bridgestone 205/55/16 tires from Craigslist on the 4runner wheels and some new KYB GR2 shocks from shockwarehouse.com - just to make sure it won't hit the fenders anymore (the previous shocks were done and the 4x4 tires would hit the fenders in the front). The truck is currently stock height, maybe even taller with these new shocks - jk. The plans are to put some 3" steel tapered DJM blocks on the back, level the front and remove the front and rear bumpstops. The wheel tabs have already been removed on all 4 corners of the truck. I'd like to have around a finger or two wheel gap and still be able to haul pool chemicals, mulch and crap in the Summer. Is this possible? The 55 series tires still look kinda rubberband'ish, or maybe it's because there's so much wheel gap at stock height? Is a 205/60, too tall? Keeping it riding comfortable is important, as this truck will be my daily. I'd like to use the steel 4runner wheels as long as possible, while I try to get the body right on the truck. Is that possible with the drop and offset of the steel 4runner wheels? It looks like the wheels are flush with the body, or only sunk-in a tiny bit. Anyone used these wheels before?

Mods - please delete my similiar post in General Chat.

Here's a pic of the current wheels and a pic of the new wheels (the Nismo wording is just a sticker, I'll be peeling all of them off) -

thread post photo

thread post photo
lowlyfe   +1y
Im running 225/60/16's on my daily wheels and like them quite a bit over smaller tires for a daily comfortable ride. And yes it would be fine to drop the truck with 3" blocks and adjusting the torsions to match (you may look into re-indexing the torsion bars as well) and still have a decent ride while hauling a mild load. If the truck isn't as low as you'd like after this drop you can pull a leaf from the leaf spring pack to get the rear a little lower... If you haul anything real heavy then i wouldn't suggest pulling a leaf or removing the bumpstops, maybe cutting them down real low profile because then you might end up smashing the frame into the axle and that sucks without a bumpstop lol.
thafox   +1y
im running 195/55/16 with 4wd fenders, i went to 215/55/16 and making sharp turns rubs the fenders horribly, but im also retarded static dropped, i removed 2 leafs from rear with 3" block then re-indexed torsions and cranked a bit with bumps removed and pup shocks up front
ultravtec757   +1y

What are the specs on your wheels? Thanks for the input.
ultravtec757   +1y
I'm going to lower the truck this weekend on the 16x7, +15 steel 4runner wheels with 195/55/16 tires to get an idea of what I want the new tires to look like on the Volk wheels. I know the offset of the 4runner wheels suck, but at least it'll give me an idea of how much sidewall and width I want. The goal is to give the truck a nice lowered and stout street truck look. I don't want to hit fenders, but at the same time - I want the tires to be reasonably wide. I'm still undecided on 205/55/16, 225/55/16 or 205/60/16. I guess it all depends on how sunk in the 16x7, +39 Volk's will sit.

thread post photo

thread post photo
thafox   +1y

16x7 +40 i believe, theyre stox '02 xterra X or 4 spoke wheels
ultravtec757   +1y

Got any pics!? Your wheels are only 1mm different than mine.
thafox   +1y
[/quote]

Got any pics!? Your wheels are only 1mm different than mine.[/quote]
i'll post tomorrow
thafox   +1y
Here are some quick pics I snapped earlier

thread post photo

thread post photo
ultravtec757   +1y
Nice! Thanks!