Page 1 of 2
Mazda Lifting Static \  lifted trucks shock options

lifted trucks shock options

Mazda Lifting Static Mazda Suspension Mazda Tech
views 2182
replies 15
following 5

emjay   +1y
I was doing some research trying to find some appropriate shocks for my lifted truck. What I did was to pull up a KYB cross reference chart to find the stock shock dimensions, and searched the chart for other options. Final step was to use O'Reillys website for a reverse part lookup to find appropriate applications. Some shocked me, pardon the pun.

Front shocks, using KYB part # 344098
Height - 14.57"
compressed height - 9.45"
total travel - 5.12"

For ~1.5" lift
height - 16.38"
compressed height - 11.02"
total travel - 5.35"
applications - 79-85 Toyota pickups

For ~2" lift
height - 19.69"
compressed height - 12.05"
total travel - 7.64"
applications - 05-14 Toyota Tacomas

For ~2" lift (option #2)
height - 17.9"
compressed height - 11.89"
total travel - 5.12"
applications - 66-74 VW Beetles

For ~4" lift
height - 20.75"
compressed height - 13.39"
total travel - 7.36"
applications - 79-85 RX7

For ~4" lift (option #2)
height - 20.91"
compressed height - 13.11"
total travel - 7.8"
applications - 99-02 Kia Sportage
##The mounting eye on this one is 2mm narrower. could probably use washers to shim##

Rear options
Stock, using part # 344044
height - 20.79"
compressed height - 12.52"
total travel - 8.27"

for ~1.5" lift
height - 22.36"
compressed height - 13.3"
total travel - 9.06"
applications - Nissan Frontier 2000-2004

For ~2" lift
height - 22.95"
compressed height - 14.09"
total travel - 8.86"
applications - Toyota T100 95-98 2wd

For ~4" lift
height - 24.96"
compressed height - 15.67"
total travel - 9.29"
applications - Toyota T100 95-98 4wd

Apparently there were several different shock options for the T100, as I found 3 different part numbers each with different specs. Compressed heights were between, 14-16", strokes between 8.86-10.15". The information that I posted here was what I could derive to the best of my knowledge, and I am subject to being corrected when I am incorrect.

This thread is also intended for lifted trucks not lowered ones. I did notice a couple of lowered shock specs for the front, the Chevy LUV would be good for approx 2" drop, but this is for a thread that someone else can write.
emjay   +1y
Note that some of the above applications had front struts, so you will need to lookup rear shocks to use in the front. This is the case when using the kia and Toyota shock options. I keep meaning to edit/fifix this list but keep getting too busy.
b2600ibeauty   +1y
Now do these shocks you list require any modification or will everything line up like it should without a ton of drilling of new holes?
emjay   +1y
When I was compiling this list, I was only comparing shocks with the same connectors. Should line up.
trustierustie   +1y
So say if you were cranking the front t-bars up 2 inches and throwing 2 inch blocks in the back would using the appropriate shocks for that lift in this chart allow you to keep a stock ride?
sincitylocal   +1y

Unless this is done on a 4wd truck, the front will rise by 2" and the back will drop 2". The 2wd trucks have the axle mounted on top of the springs, while the 4wd trucks have the rear mounted below them.
trustierustie   +1y

I have a 2wd b2200 so is there no way to lift the rear end? and can I avoid having a horrible ride after cranking the t-bars by using the correct longer shocks?
geterdun   +1y
You can do the work of moving springs to the top of the rearend, not a beginner's task. What is your skill level?
Then again, you can get a 4 wheel drive rearend (with the springs) and change it out?
emjay   +1y
I'm not sure that the spring hangers are the same 2wd vs 4wd. What I did was use leaf spring shackles. Easily found at most parts houses, around $20.
emjay   +1y
One more thing to point out, cranking the torsion bars can only get you so much lift, after that you hit the bump stops for the upper arm. You could cut them off, but then you risk hitting the shock absorber. What I did for the front lift were some homemade ball joint spacers made from worn out ball joints.