Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.6L \  Died like turning key off

Died like turning key off

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1432
replies 16
following 6

izzybird   +1y
My little workhorse died the other day like I turned the key off. I have fuel, but no spark. I checked resistance on the coil, but not sure if I'm doing it correctly. I unplugged the connector that has 12v with key on and checked ohms across those 2 pins, showed 1k. Checked the other 2 pins going to the distributor and got .96, bad correct? Then in my research I stumbled across the common issue of the ignition switch. What's the test and fix on that one? I use this truck most daily around the property and am already missing it, bought it for $500 in place of a $3k used Kawasaki mule..no brainer in my book. I'm a diesel head and not very good at diagnosing gas burners, every time I pop the hood on this thing I'm lost with all the vacuum lines and general BS running everywhere. I've been contemplating the Mitsubishi diesel swap, but have grown fond of this pickup as is. Till now of course. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
izzybird   +1y
Forgot to mention that I did inspect the ECU and it is spotless.
Cusser   +1y
Yes, the electrical part of the ignition switch can go bad from decades of use. Starter might still crank fine, different circuit.

When mine went bad the radio, dash warning lights, all went off, completely dead.
izzybird   +1y
The steering column cover was off when I got it and factory stereo is long gone. I do have dash lights and everything seems to be working normal. I hate to be a parts thrower, but I guess I'll get another coil and see what happens. Speaking of the steering column, there is a small square white plastic peice with a small button on it hanging down. Can you tell me what the heck that is? Curiosity is driving me nuts, doesn't seem to do anything when I pushed it for the heck of it.
Cusser   +1y

You'd need to post a picture of that, could be an ignition buzzer switch, who knows...
izzybird   +1y
Yes sir, I've got battery voltage coming in and going out the two wires going to the distributor with key on. Seems like I read that if you had 12v in the blue wire going to the distributor the coil was bad, but I've read so much without taking notes I may be thinking wrong.
post photo
izzybird   +1y
All I get is the "upload currently in progress" message when trying to upload a pic. The thing hanging off the column isn't important, i just keep looking at it wondering what the heck it was.
geterdun   +1y
Check for spark at any plug (pull plug or pick up an old one lying around and stick in a plug lead and ground, spin engine).

No spark, connect a spark plug lead with a plug in it to the coil, ground the plug and start the engine. If no spark, narrows it down to the: ignition switch, ignitor, loose wire(s), ecm, distributor pickup coil, distributor module or the coil .
Distributor pickup coil can be checked by resistance, distributor module by replacement, after all else ruled out.
If you have spark at the plug, must be fuel delivery, water in fuel, or bad fuel.
chevellex69   +1y
I agree with geterdun, check for that spark. There is a possiblitly that the main relay may not be working, or the main fuse blown?
befarrer   +1y
Did you check your fuses, including the ones under the hood?