Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.6L \  Power Steering Belt Stretches

Power Steering Belt Stretches

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 657
replies 7
following 5

dasan458   +1y
So I have replaced the belt on the power steering pump 3 times because, it keeps stretching and stretching. When it gets loose I tighten it till its firm but not too tight. I do this until I run out of any more space to move the tensioner up. The 1st 2 were cheap $3 dollar ones and I can understand but the 3rd time I went and payed $25 for a gates and it still did the same thing, stretched out, just took longer.

I would like to figure why this is happening but would also like to convert it to a serpentine. I would probably have to get everything off of a ranger/mazda if I do this.
dan woodland   +1y
Sounds like you may be over tightening the belt(s)... In 40 years of driving I've never had ONE stretch like that... ORRRR there is problem with your pump (or pump bearing) or idler bearing causing a drag on the belt over heating it so it stretches.

My two cents...
Post was last edited on May 21, 2015 11:05. This post has been edited 1 times.
befarrer   +1y
Possibly pulleys worn and riding too low in the groove?
dasan458   +1y
It isn't riding too low, but I will try swapping out the pully.
dasan458   +1y
I'm not over tightening it. It's loose enough to have some play when I press down. I keep it loosened more than my other vehicle's belts. But when I replaced the tensioner pulley, the old one was rusted inside the groove, don't know if that has anything to do with it. Also I spun the power steering pulley and it didn't keep spinning, but that is probably because there is fluid inside, don't know.
sincitylocal   +1y
Compare your "stretched" belt to a new one. I suspect you may have it too loose, and it's slipping, making it wear on the sides.
Cusser   +1y
How's the bearing in your idler pulley?
dasan458   +1y
Well compared to a new belt, it's a little bigger. The sides do look worn though. But I don't want it too tight because last time the crank shaft pulley broke and I had to replace that. Also the idler pulley is good because I just put a brand new one on and it has not really done any stretching since then.
Page 1 of 1