threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.6L \  distributor for 89 b2600i only (compatibility)

distributor for 89 b2600i only (compatibility)

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 820
replies 1
following 2

1989b2600i4x4   +1y
(see disclamer at bottom)

This may help someone in the same predicament.

My truck was stalling on hot days or when sitting in traffic, and not starting until it cooled down. No spark.

I diagnosed it as a faulty distributor by, get this, pouring cold water on it and it'd immediately start up . If you can get some "freeze spray" from Fry's electronics, that'd work too.

But being that this distributor ONLY fit the 89 b2600i, it was really hard to find one. They were at least $400 for an A1-Cardone reman.

After studying pics of the 89-90 mpv 2.6 distributors, I decided that they were almost identical. Except the mpv has two vacuum nipples on the vacuum advance. The b2600i only has one. At half price, I decided to risk swapping the advances and see if it ran.

It's two phillips screws on the outside of the distributor housing, and one e-clip inside under the rotor and the plastic cover. Everything else is a normal distributor swap job (make sure the timing is right, reconnect everything, etc...).

It runs like a champ!

1989 B2600i:
A1-Cardone # 31-887 (Reman)
Richporter # MZ52 (New)

1989-1990 MPV 2.6L:
A1-Cardone # 31-881 (Reman)
Richporter # MZ51 (New)

***Disclaimer***
1) Doing this worked for me. Your results may vary.
2) Doing this will almost certainly void any warranty on your purchase.
3) Because of the different casting #s on the housings, if you buy a remanufactured one, they may or may not refund your core charge. I bought a new Richporter one, and needed a running truck now more than I needed a warranty.

Manny
dan woodland   +1y
Great post!!! This will defiantly help someone!!
Page 1 of 1