threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.6L \  Drowned my truck, now, running rough, AFM???

Drowned my truck, now, running rough, AFM???

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 835
replies 4
following 3

phat-customs   +1y
Gday Guys,

Couple of days ago, during the crazy storms we have been having here, I accidentally drowned my truck, to the point where it hydraulic-locked the engine.

Anyway, a couple of road side repairs and I managed to limp her back home, but now its running quite rough at anything other than an idle.

I have cleaned and gapped plugs, checked dizzy, rotor button and chopper wheel, all seem good, coil visually apears fine, but its breaking down under load, and very very rich.

I am thinking along the lines that the AFM (air flow meter) has died a horrible horrible death, and that that is whats causing my rich/rough running. I have done a few checks that I found in an online b2600 workshop manual, but what Id really like, is for someone else with a 2600i to do the same checks and compare voltages.

I have attached a snippet of the workshop manual, and outlined the area that is giving me trouble, where I am supposed to be getting 1v to 5v, I am getting only Milli volts. I have a solid 12-14v input tho.

This leads me to thinking that the Hotwire part of the AFM has been lunched by the water, I have also tried to "regulate" the fuel supply by crimping off the supply line and it clears the rough running momentarilly before it starves of fuel.

so if someone could duck out to their shed, and wave their multi meter over their AFM, with the truck on, and then with it running, thatd be fantastic!

Cheers!
post photo
befarrer   +1y
I dont have a 2600, but that sensor should use a 5V reference that I believe comes from the computer. If the computer is not sending out the 5V reference, then all of the sensors that use it would be sending back bad readings. But it could be the AFM is bad and not sending any voltage back. Afterall, all the AFM is, is a variable resistor in basic terms, along with any other sensor on the motor, more resistance, less voltage goes back to the computer from the initial 5V, the computer compares the voltage difference between the 2, and gets its readings from that.
scotch   +1y
Nope, it doesn't use a reference voltage
phat-customs   +1y

Bolt readings are WAY down, like .15v at idle, which should be between 1 and 2 volts.

I have ties unplugging it mate, it makes no discernible difference at all.

Seems that the 5 wire afm is quite hard to come by over here in Australia.
However, there is an abundance of 3 wire versions, I am wondering if, firstly, the other wires are actually that important, I imagine the 3 wire would be Pwr, Gnd and Signal. So possibly could be made to work in place of the 5 wire, as long as the voltage/vs flow readings were the same?

Anyone have any experience with the 3 wire version???

I have an Eye Phone, yaaaaaaaay!
scotch   +1y
Well it looks like the one extra wire is an additional ground - so that is probably not a bid deal. The other is "burn-off" wire to clean the sensor. Not having that probably wouldn't be a bid deal either - you just my need to manually clean it a little more frequently.

However, I no idea if the calibration of the sensor itself would be compatible.

I'd be happy to sell you one but the shipping will be a little pricey.
Page 1 of 1