Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.6L \  2600i no spark troubleshooting help. FOUND: ecm corrosion

2600i no spark troubleshooting help. FOUND: ecm corrosion

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1026
replies 5
following 3

chevellex69   +1y
I cleaned the inside of the distributor but still no spark. I have 12v on the positive side of coil, but I have no ground on the negative side of coil. Didn't know if you could get a ground reading off the negative terminal.
Could I get some troubleshooting help from someone? Someone know the resistance readings of the coil? Can you jump the negative post straight to ground bypassing the ecm?
Post was last edited on Feb 06, 2015 03:02. This post has been edited 1 times.
scotch   +1y
How dirty was the inside of the distributor? Was it oily in there? If so, it's internal o-ring is bad and you'll likely need to replace it.

You will not get a ground throughout the harness connecter because it's controlled by the igniter module.

To check the resistance of the coil, put a lead on each terminal and check the resistance. It should be .81 - .99 ohms.

To check the secondary coil, put one lead on the inside (inboard) terminal and the other on the high tension coil to distributor terminal. You should have between 6-30 Kohms.

Also, with the key in the "ON" position, check the voltage on the Black/Yellow stripe wire going into the distributor connector. It should be equal to battery voltage.
Post was last edited on Feb 04, 2015 12:02. This post has been edited 1 times.
chevellex69   +1y
no oil, just a little corrosion on the terminals of the cap and rotor. my resistance checks are where they should be.
no voltage at the distributor. Also tested and have no spark from coil.

My battery is pretty close to dead and will hardly turn the engine over but I'm using a semi jump pack to try and start. Is it possible the battery is too dead and not letting the ecm power up?
chevellex69   +1y
So I replaced the battery with new. Still no start. What else can I check?
tucknrimmaz   +1y
Ignition switch, main relay.
chevellex69   +1y
Checked the main relay and there was no ground to the ecm. the main relay wasn't clicking. Pulled ecm apart and there was corrosion in it. That was caused from a big hole in the cab allowing water to hit the ecm. Found the blue/black wire to the ecm and de-pinned. Wired it to a switch and grounded it. Truck runs normal. I plan on wiring it to a relay so it grounds when the key is on.
Page 1 of 1