Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.6L \  Help with intake manifold

Help with intake manifold

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 776
replies 7
following 4

missed.a.leter   +1y
So my friend is doing a headgasket and were having trouble getting the intake manifold off. We have the four top nuts off the studs but the 5 bottom bolts are the hardest thing to get to. We have the intake split in 2. Any tips on getting those out? Does it require you to remove all of the wiring and vacuum lines out from under the manifold?

The pic is just for show
post photo
dan woodland   +1y
You can get all those nuts/bolts with a set of tools including a short extension, ratchet and a socket adapter. They should break loose fairly easy and be finger loose to remove after breaking them.
missed.a.leter   +1y
But how do you get a ratchet up in there?!
dan woodland   +1y
You can't, that's why you need a short extension - 6 inch should work nicely. If you don't get a "bite" on the bolt/nut head make sure you are using the correct socket size. someone may have used the wrong size.
Cusser   +1y
I've removed these for Earl in the past from both B2600i and B2200i, didn't have trouble, but I had my full set of tools with me.
b2600ibeauty   +1y
Keep in mind, this is a fuel injected engine.
dan woodland   +1y
Grab yourself a Haynes or Chilton shop manual, they will cover the process.

Be patient, remove one then move on to the others... it is possible with a basic set of tools as I mentioned above. Sounds like you are already well on your way.

Dan
Cusser   +1y

Yeah, got that. I'm just saying I did this in the parts yard, with what I had with me, and no service manual. I'm good. And I'm stubborn.

And - like Angel Eyes: "I always see the job through" !!!
Page 1 of 1