Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.6L \  fuel gauge problems

fuel gauge problems

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1372
replies 9
following 4

bravo2600lachlan   +1y
hey im having trouble with my fuel gauge it isnt working the fuel pump has been recently been replace and even though the gauge isnt working it is sitting a bit above empty if that help

the car is a Mazda Bravo B2600 1996 or 1997 (the two engine plates kind of confuse me) Petrol 4 cylinder

Cheers in advance
scotch   +1y
Was it working before you replaced the fuel pump?

How about your engine temperature gauge? Does it work normally? Both are supplied power from a voltage regulator in the instrument cluster (at least on our trucks which ended production in 93, so I'm not sure your 96 or 97 uses the same style cluster.) If both are off, you might have a problem with that regulator. Otherwise, the sending unit is going bad. Give this thread from ABE a read.

It has some pics on how you might be able to get it working again at the end of the thread. This is a very common problem and most likely what is wrong with yours.
bravo2600lachlan   +1y
well according to my boss who i bought it off he said it was working but then he let it sit for 12 months doing nothing before he sold it to me.

The engine temp gauge and lights on the dash works and i also know that my boss also had a new tank put in so i'm not sure if that could mess with the way the fuel gauge works
dan woodland   +1y
Was the fuel sender replaced at the same time as the fuel pump? If not was it "adjusted" to ensure it was sending a signal? In these Mazdas the sender "loosens" but can be fixed by tightening the arm that slides up and down the sender.

bravo2600lachlan   +1y
well it was carried out by a mechanic but on the invoice it doesn't mention sender unit so i guessing with this Mazda the sender unit is separate to the fuel pump?
dan woodland   +1y
The fuel pump is attached to the sender. The sender is the "float" that measures fuel level.

Sender

Pump

bravo2600lachlan   +1y
Well i guess they did change it maybe i have to check the cluster first then I'll check the sender might just be the gauge has died
Cusser   +1y

Most often: it is the sender.
bravo2600lachlan   +1y
Well would a tester light work on the gauge side if i did turn on the ignition?
bravo2600lachlan   +1y
Found out the fuel gauge hasn't worked since the new tank was put in so i assume everybody is right and its the sender
Page 1 of 1