Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.6L \  dumb q, re valve cover removal 2.6i 2005

dumb q, re valve cover removal 2.6i 2005

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1349
replies 4
following 3

adrianjt   +1y
recently purchased my 1st b2600 (G6) - stock extended cab 2005 - usual oil leak back of valve cover (will check for missing bracket/plate that covers rear cam plug).

have loosened valve (rocker) cover, (no gasket, great). i can raise valve cover 1/2" (12mm) but not remove - stopped by cast air inlet to throttle body (have removed the overhead chunky air hose that comes from air filter box)

does inlet manifold or throttle body have to come off first or should I grind a few mm off bottom lip of air inlet (to throttle body)?

Ive tried turning engine bit by bit in the hope I can position the rocker valves to enable valve cover to be wiggled/gently pried off, but no luck.

or is this just part1 of "easiest motor to work on...ever"

it's also sorta slowly losing water, not sure where but possibly small hose under inlet manifold... grateful for suggestions re other likely culprit(s)

appreciate all advice

cheers
Cusser   +1y
First, what's your country, is this a Ford Ranger type or a genuine made-in-Japan Mazda truck?
adrianjt   +1y
sprung first post

australia, ford rebadged courier, made in thailand

ive read a few (bseries/ford rebadged) forums, this is the most comprehensive... cap in hand
scotch   +1y
Hi Adrian. Welcome tithe forum.

If your G6 has the same induction system as ours, then you'll need to pull the throttle body; very easy - 2 bolts and 2 nuts. Don't grind up the tb just for these four fasteners. It should have a metal gasket that is reusable.

While you have the throttle body off, you'll want to look close a coolant hose that comes out of the intake manifold and into the throttle body. Since it is so hard to get too, it doesn't usually get replaced and is prone to leaking. Also, check all of the small coolant hoses under the intake manifold and around the back of the engine. There are several and if they're original, they're due for replacement. If and when you remove or replace any of those hoses. be prepare to find some rust on the pipes underneath them. Sometimes they are rusted bad and will need replacement. Last, there is an o-ring on the metal pipe that returns the coolant to the water pump. Check that for leaks too.

Also, before you pull the valve cover, check out this thread....

" target="_blank

There are a few parts you might want to buy before you do the job.
adrianjt   +1y
thanks bigtime Scotch, that
Page 1 of 1