Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.6L \  Trying to convert fuel injection to carburetor on 1989 B2600

Trying to convert fuel injection to carburetor on 1989 B2600

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 5666
replies 8
following 6

peteb2600   +1y
I have a 1989 Mazda B2600, 4 wheel drive, 2.6 liter engine. The injectors are not firing. This is the second time in just a few months that I've had this problem. I would like to change from a fuel injection to a carburetor. I looked into purchasing the carburetor conversion kit but the tech guy said that I needed to find an intake that would bolt to my motor. Can anyone tell me what intake would fit and what wouldn't? What do I need to look for to make this carburetor kit work? Or, maybe some of you have other suggestions. Maybe someone has tried this conversion kit, any feedback would be great.
Pete
dan woodland   +1y
I wonder if you would be happier with a carb setup than trying to fix what you already have
91extcab   +1y
There won't be a carb'd intake that will work on the 2600i. You could look into mega squirt for engine management which would get rid of the stock computer, which could most likely be your issue. The older carb'd 2600s were a mitsubishi motor, and are completely different from the mazda fuel injected 2.6s.
scotch   +1y
What you need is one of these.....

thread post photo

The B2600i, "de-i'd."

No, I didn't build this one and no, it's not for sale. Well, everything has a price. But this one is not for sale for a realistic price.

I really think it would be smarter to figure out what's wrong with your truck and fix it rather than going through all the work to convert it, especially if you would be paying a mechanic to do it.

How have you determined that the injectors aren't firing? Noid Lights? Oscilliscope?

Do you have spark?
peteb2600   +1y
If I spray gas into the intake it will run and then cut off. It has gas all the way up to the injectors.
peteb2600   +1y
@Scotch
That's exactly what I'm looking into changing over. I wouldn't have to pay a mechanic, my father and I do a little backyard repairs. The question I have is what kind of intake do you have on there.
zanzer   +1y

X2. You can even use a DMM in a pinch. The big thing is verify injector pulse. If you don't have that then trace it back to the ECM while checking grounds and signal flow etc.

If it's dirty or clogged injectors I can sonic clean and rebuild yours. I can't flow match (at the moment) but that's more for Hi-Po applications anyway.

I know where a 2600 ECM is I may be able to get my hands on if you need it...if I can ever get the guy to call/reply to my texts LOL
scotch   +1y
That intake was on the truck when I bought it. It was fabricated at some point by one of the previous owners - not the guy I bought it from - so I have no way to get in touch with him. You can see the solder joints on the flange and tell that it was was not a production manifold.

To my knowledge, the G6 engine was never produced with a carb, so I don't think you are going to find a bolt on manifold.

You probably have a bad computer. Open it up and take a look for any signs of corrosion on the circuit board.

What part of the country do you live in?
anguswilly   +1y
The B2600i has a very simple fuel injection system.

Look at b2600i.com and you can use the troubleshooting info there (a simplified version of the factory manual)

If the injectors are not firing it is most likely the ECU or the fuel injection relay (the one by the battery, not the one in the driver kick panel)
Page 1 of 1