Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.6L \  Fuel issue? Other? HELP!

Fuel issue? Other? HELP!

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2020
replies 14
following 3

crazy tarzan   +1y
Got home tonight, turned off truck, went inside and 10 min later came out to go to gym. Truck started, put it in R and it promptly died. Ran all of 5 seconds.

Did notice that the fuel gauge seemed to go down faster this time than normal, but figured that at 270 miles, even at 25 mpg I should have enough to hit the gym and the gas station (I've put up to 12.8 gal in before)--unless of course I was only getting 20 mpg this time. . .

Put some gas in it (3/4 gal). Cranks, won't start, wait 15 sec, stumbles up to 400rpm for a sec and dies again. must wait about 10-15 sec to get the stumble/try to start.

Any ideas other than I have air in the fuel lines to work out? Need fix sooner than later, it's my DD to and from work (1/2 each way), and work starts early!
crazy tarzan   +1y
Not a lack of fuel in tank, put another gallon in an it started and ran for several minutes, jumped in went to has station, turned off truck, and filled up.

Now it won't start again. Stumbles and tries for a few seconds, but won't start an run.

Any ideas?
crazy tarzan   +1y
No fuel to filter, either with key on or when cranking. Guessing fuel pump at the moment.
emjay   +1y
I am assuming that your truck has an electric fuel pump, since you said that it has an automatic. I believe that the fuel pump has a relay that is in the driver side kick panel. Try jumpering the relay to see if the fuel pump works, if it does then I'd suspect that you have a bad relay. If it doesn't work then I'd suspect that you have a bad pump.

Another possibility, you could have a clogged fuel strainer. This would explain the problem as being intermittent. In this case you would need to lift the bed to get to the tank, or to drop the tank from below. Many claim that removing the bed is the easier way to go.
Cusser   +1y

I think crazy tarzan has a B2600i so electric fuel pump.
crazy tarzan   +1y
Fuel pump works, pulled tank and with no lines attached then cranking (not just key on) it spits out fuel.

Checking on relay under driver side dash. So far only need to replace a couple feet of fuel line.

Was going to repair fuel gauge bit, but all rusted shut so not today.
emjay   +1y
Ok, it has EFI. Guess I should have looked at the signature, lol.

Ok, so we confirmed that the fuel pump spits fuel out when cranking. You will need to check what the fuel pressure is, IIRC the B2600i is supposed to be around 45-50 PSI (I'd verify this first)

Also, check to make sure that the fuel pressure regulator is hooked up, and that the vacuum line attached to it isn't brittle/cracked/broken.

There is also another weak link in the B2600i, and that is the ECU. It's under the passenger side kick panel. The capacitors get old over time, and can leak acid. The acid eats into the circuit board, and causes all sorts of fun problems. Its a quick check.
crazy tarzan   +1y
Appears to have been the relay on the drivers side behind the kick panel. I tested with and without it hooked up, and the fuel flowed only when it was plugged in. The best I can come up with so far is that it had 'loosened' over time, and thus would have a bad connection, preventing the truck from running. I've made sure it's well seated and the truck is starting everytime--I'll keep testing it today/this evening to be sure, but what a pain.

On a side note, my ecu looks brand new--like it was replaced with a factory new unit.
crazy tarzan   +1y
So, not the fuel pump relay. Truck died again, and I put a new relay in--nada. Didn't run with a new one. Checked the connector from the gas tank to the truck harness, seems to be good, well seated (even sprayed some WD-40 in since it's been wet out), nada.

Any other suggestions?

Tries to run, but stumbles up to about 4-500 rpm for a few sec and dies. When it dies (while driving) it feels like it's out of gas.

Will tow home again today, and work on it tomorrow.
emjay   +1y
2 things that I would check at this point, to eliminate the possibility of a bad pump.
#1 fuel filter, cheap and easy, 1 job max while sober.

#2 is to check the strainer in the tank, this involves either dropping tank or lifting the bed.

Several years ago, I had a rust in tank issue, I would take compressed air and purge the lines (open fuel filler cap!!!) and it would run fine for a couple of days before going kaput again. Turns out that the fuel sock had deteriorated and was clogging the inlet.