threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.6L \  Where to install coolant temperature sensor?

Where to install coolant temperature sensor?

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 4052
replies 7
following 5

mozzles   +1y
I'm going to install a gauge while I've got the coolant drained, where should I put the sensor? I looked around on it and don't see an obvious spot.

Also wondering how to flush the heater core, which hoses it is anyways...

Thanks.
penitr8r   +1y
onto your thermostat housing
dan woodland   +1y
Temp sensor goes just under your thermostat housing (between the outlet and the upper timing cover. Just under the bye-pass hose here...

thread post photo

The heater core are the two small black hoses on the firewall just to the left and right of the back of the valve cover. Seen on the left side of this picture.

thread post photo

The connect to the heater core and go though the firewall. I would leave them in place and flush the entire system not just the heater core.
scotch   +1y
You're in he 2.6 thread Dan.

Assuming you're talking about a G6 2.6L (89-93), there aren't going to be any places to screw in an additional sensor for a gauge. If you don't use the single wire sensor location (that is used for the gauge in the cluster), then you'll have to try and tap a port in the thermostat housing, or use an inline adapter in the hose going to the oil cooler. There is also a line that comes out of the head, through the intake manifold, and to the throttle body. It will be a little cozy trying to fit something in there, but that would be the other place to get a water temp before it gets cooled any passing through the rest of the system.

If your just doing preventative flushing, you might as well just use a flush additive in the whole system. If your heater core is clogged and not heating, the you'll want to disconnect it at the firewall and try to fill it with some flush additive or I have used CLR. You'll need to let it soak for a while and then might need to get the fittings at the local autoparts store to hook up a water hose and flush the system out. Just be careful how much pressure you allow with the water hose as you don't want to create a leak.

Also, if it's not heating at all, then you might check that the temp control cable is functioning OK and that it has not broken. ABE has a thread on here that shows where it connects.
Post was last edited on May 23, 2013 06:05. This post has been edited 1 times.
dan woodland   +1y
Whoops, thanks Scotch. I should eat lunch and not post on the forums.
mozzles   +1y
Thanks for the tips... I didn't think that looked like the right engine!

I do plan on disconnecting the stock gauge.. doesn't seem to be functioning anyways but that could be because my coolant system is not pressurized. I found some wires coming through the firewall that look like maybe there was an actual gauge attached at some point.

In that case, where is the stock coolant temp sender that I can remove and install a new one? I just like knowing exactly what temp my engine is running at, no guessing.
scotch   +1y
It's in the thermostat housing. It's the one with 1 singe wire going to it. Leave the two wire sensor alone as that one is used by the ECM.

How does your fuel gauge work? If it has issues too, then you might have a problem with the regulator inside the gauge cluster as it regulates the voltage for each.
cab+rider   +1y

Hi Dan it's an honest mistake. You can even have seconds for your lunch. Been there done that
Page 1 of 1