Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1412
replies 9
following 3

penitr8r   +1y
whats up! I have a :
91' Mazda b2600i
problems:
when i try to turn it over it puffs out white smoke out the throtlebody(even with all coolant drained)
put in this engine block in from the yard head included + a new head gasket .everything in the head and block originally from the yard motor.
I even did a water test to the head pryor to bolting it on.

when attempimting to start it sounds like a motor from a motorcycle(kinda high pitchy)

any ideas?

I will update this thread daily

thanks
p.s.
with the exhaust manifold removed i krank the engine to see witness jets o flames comes from each exhast hole on driverside of motor.all of a sudden a bunch of smoke goes poof out the throttle body...any clues?
91_2600i   +1y
You could have some residual water/coolant in the system. As you probably know, it passes through the throttle body and then out the IAC valve. If either of those is leaking internally, it could be draining a little coolant into the intake manifold. You might pull the throttle body and and inspect and look inside the intake manifold.

Sounds like a motorcycle.... high pitchy? Does it sound more like a Honda or Kawasaki?
OK.. just kidding.

When you see the "smoke out of the throttle body, where is it exiting the throttle body? Do you have the intake pipe and hose on?

Are you certain you have the timing set right? #1 set to TDC on compression stroke and not exhaust stroke?
penitr8r   +1y
dude after I put it all together before I found out about these problems I would try to start it & it wouldnt start ,then I looked inside the throtlebody and it looked like a tiny lake was inside the intake manifold!
that story is irrelivent though!

I redid the gasket for the IAC valve w/ a washer before posting this thread

the smoke seems to act as if its being forced out the part of the motor where its supposed to draw in the air (it acts the same whether the air intake assembly is on or off).the intake manifold was on.

the sound describtion in more detail:
i said it wont start but it will crank and when it does crank sounds like a motercycle sounds like when your trying to start the motercycle (not the sound of the motercycle engine running)

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY (if had to bet on which 1 is most likely based on your posts and ONLY BASED ON MY OPINION OF YOUR THOUGHTS)
the timing boggles me!
I wonder about the timing cuz when i got it it wasnt lined up TDC,it also had the cylinder head removed so i know the timing wasnt line up right.

Question?
Is it possable to be able to line up the timing marks without removing the timing cover?

thanks & like I said I will continually update this thread. !
penitr8r   +1y
is it possable for the timing chain to jump or skip places on the crank shaft sprocket with the cylinder head removed?
crazy tarzan   +1y
hard to line up timing without the valve cover off.

Put a long skinny stick in the #1 plug hole, and hand crank the motor over until you find it's highest spot. Now check your crank pulley timing marks, they should be lined up with the degree marks on the block. Next check and see where your distributor is pointing, should be about 9:00 with the cap off. If any of these isn't lined up your timing could be off. Remember that the #1 piston will be all the way up on both exhuast and intake strokes. Make sure if it doesn't line up the first time you cycle it again and check again. IF still off then usually the quickest check is to pull off dist cap and put back on facing 9:00 (as long as your on intake tdc and not exhaust).

It could be just the rotor--it can go on 3 different ways if it's worn at all.

If your still off, you'll need to pull the valve cover off and check the timing mark on the cam vs the piston, crank and dist. The cam timing mark on my 93 2600i had the silver link lined up with the spot at about 3:00.

Hope this helps.
penitr8r   +1y
every time i crank it i hear compression only on the very first stroke every other turn after the first just sounds like a starter on a motor cycle

with the valve cover off i'll crank it and i see oil spit out the top off the lifters....question

is it possable that the lifters arnt hard enuff to be able to open the valve?
penitr8r   +1y

lol... I did line up the timing with the valve cover off u crazy dude !
I meant is it possable to line up the time marks with out having the timing/oil pump cover removed.
crazy tarzan   +1y
use the process I listed above, and check that when at tdc and crank mark line up you are forcing air out of the spark plug hole (leave plug in, loosen just a touch and put your hand over it to feel if it's forcing air out as you rotate the crank). Then check the dist. I had to do the same and reset my rotor to get mine to run after doing the head gasket. Check your plug wires are on in the right spots.

It would crank and try to fire, then it would pressurize a cylinder and barely crank until it rolled over a time or two. Rinse and repeat. After doing the above and putting the rotor back on with everything lined up it started right up and ran.
penitr8r   +1y
CRAZY TARZAN ,91 B2600I

THANKS YA'LL!!!!!!!

I line up the cam shaft sprocket right & SHAZAM!!!!
it started rrrrrright up!!!!!

thank you for helping me realize that ...finally
!
crazy tarzan   +1y
your welcome. It's frustrating as all get out to put it back together and not have it start. Glad you got it worked out!
Page 1 of 1