threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.6L \  Noisy top end, not lifters (update 4/7/13)

Noisy top end, not lifters (update 4/7/13)

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1245
replies 8
following 4

blueridge   +1y
I could be wrong but I don't think its the lifters. Just replaced them. Ive had noisy lifters before and it aint the same sound. This is louder.

Front oil seal blew out. Overheated. Head gasket went. Replaced oil seal. Replaced head gasket. Replaced lifters. I hear a clack really well with stethoscope placed on #1 exhaust port. Can still hear fairly well from the intake side as well.

Pulled valve cover and cranked the motor...Oil comes out all rockers and no slack between valves and lifters. I've turned the motor over by hand with a socket...no abnormal resistance.

I am stumped. Just looking for ideas of what this noise could be.

Thanks
Post was last edited on Apr 07, 2013 07:04. This post has been edited 2 times.
itizmyne   +1y
Are they hydraulic lifters? i replaced all of myne cause it was tapping pretty good, didnt seem to help one bit. I keep checking the local JunkYards for the solid lifters.
Not saying it couldnt be something else, just from what ive seen the hydraulic tap nicely, and people replace them.
crazy tarzan   +1y
I had valve noise, and replaced the head with a new one having valves and springs on my 2.6 FI after overheating it. I still have valve train noise. Became really bad for a few days (after a week with no issues)until I ran some seafoam through the motor, but I can still hear it a little all the time. I thought it might be from the springs that separate the rocker arms not having enough tension and allowing some movement back and forth on the rocker shaft, but am just speculating.
blueridge   +1y
Yes, they are hydraulic.
blueridge   +1y
Pulled the rocker arms for #1 cylinder and started the truck up. No more noise. Put the exhaust side rocker back on and the noise came back. So I take the head to a machine shop and they didn't find anything wrong. Figured it may be a bad seat or bent valve.

So I put a spare head on today and fire it up. Yep noise is still there. I guess there ain't but 2 things left, rod bearing or wrist pin?
itizmyne   +1y
Id still say it was the lifters. ive seen its common that the hydraulic lifters tap. I will be searching the junk yards for Solid ones and ill be buying those.
blueridge   +1y
For anyone who has been following this. I appreciate the thoughts. I've heard bad lifters in this truck. And that noise was not a lifter.

Any how...I finally broke down and pulled the motor from the truck. I'm sure it was a sight to be seen if you were my neighbors watching me try to wrangle it into my shop.

Got it inside on the stand and pulled the oil pan. Initially everything was tight. Rotated the crank just a bit and #1 rod bearing had all kinds of slop in it. Checked the others and could feel slight movement in #3 and 4. So there you have it.

I could've swore that noise was in the top end. But I guess with it sitting next to the timing, the noise was able to travel right up to the head so easily.
Cusser   +1y
Well, at least you didn't pull the engine and dig in for nothing !!! Good detective work.
blueridge   +1y
Until this vehicle, I've never been inside a motor before and I figured its high time I take a look at one.

So as of now I'm in the market for a set of mic's and a bore gage. I'd like to check the piston to wall clearances. I dont want to take it to a machine shop if I don't have to. And certainly don't want to re-bore and buy new pistons if I dont have to. But I got a real good feeling, that given this trucks history its gonna need it.
Page 1 of 1