Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.6L \  MAF Issues--fixed

MAF Issues--fixed

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 850
replies 3
following 2

crazy tarzan   +1y
Yesterday my truck started running like crap. Again. Only it did it while I was on the way to work. Had to keep it nearly floored to keep it running, 4k all but drop clutch in 1st to get moving. Reeked of unburnt fuel, and you could hear the cat popping here and there, gas gauge went down like mad.

If I let off the gas, it promptly dies. Can't get it to hardly rev until over 3k.

Thought it might be the cat--found that 80% of my cat was a melted mess, so I cleared out any obstructions it might have. . .not it.

Checked the computer, looks brand new. Really honestly does.

Last thing I checked was pulling the plug on the maf sensor last night--it now runs. I have barely any throttle to control, but it does move and idle mostly normal now.

How fragile are the MAF sensors on our trucks? How hard to get another/repair the one I have? Or could it be something else?
Post was last edited on Mar 01, 2013 04:03. This post has been edited 2 times.
crazy tarzan   +1y
So, while in utah I raided an 89 b2600i 4x4 for parts--grille, turn signal, headlight and all associated connectors etc. (had a nice bed and two nice front fenders... and I lacked tools and room). Pulled a new MAF sensor out and installed it. Same issue, without the MAF plugged in, truck runs decent. With it plugged in promptly dies and doesn't want to run.

Any ideas as to why plugging in a MAF would cause the truck to have issues, if it's not the MAF itself?

I'd like to be able to drive the truck with it functioning properly again, sooner than later if possible.
crazy tarzan   +1y
found the problem--plug I installed where airbox used to be had come loose. Changed to different plug method and it's all good now.
rolentogrenades   +1y
Glad you got it sorted out. I barely touched one of the mass airflow sensor wires on a b2600i and the entire truck shut off, lol. Also noticed whoever owned the truck before didn't even bother putting an air filter in it.
Page 1 of 1