Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.6L \  starting issues on a 2600i

starting issues on a 2600i

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1006
replies 3
following 3

pocketchange   +1y
ok i need help from some of you mazda gooroos..... iv got a 90 b2600i that i cant get to start without spraying it with starting fluid. Iv checked the fuel pressure, checked the spark, checked the timing and all the little things i can think of and still a no go. Im thinkning the injectors are just not being told to fire during start-up. However after i spray it with starter fluid it seems to run fine (idles a little high, but one thing at a time)........... any suggestions?
axel breaker earl   +1y
There is a relay (Circuit Opening Relay) that turns the fuel pump on for a second or two when you turn the key to the "ON" position so that the fuel rail is pressurized. If this relay is bad or not doing it's job, then you won't have fuel pressure to fire the injectors with when starting the engine.
After the truck has been sitting a while, climb in the truck and close the door so it is as quiet as it can be......radio off and disconnect any buzzer that comes on when the key is turned on, if any. Then, turn the key to the "ON" position and if the Circuit Opening Relay is working, you should faintly hear the fuel pump turn on and run for 2-3 seconds and then go quiet or off. If your not hearing this, then I would pull the relay and test it....it is located behind the drivers side kick panel.......
Here is a test procedure out of the factory repair manual.

thread post photo
pocketchange   +1y
thanks for replying so quick, but i have pulled the line off the back side of the fuel filter and turned the key on just to make sure the pump was running before i asked for help and it does kick on. iv also checked the spark at the plug to make sure the dist was working and it does. i have also checked the battery and fuses to make sure it was getting proper power and it seems to be. so now im lost again!
cyfi6   +1y
So even if you sit there cranking it for a while, it wont fire? You can use what they call a noid light to check if the injectors are being triggered or not, then go from there.
Page 1 of 1