Page 1 of 5
Mazda 2.6L \  need some help

need some help

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 4256
replies 42
following 7

mzd4x4   +1y
so my engine is idling low like about 250-300 rpm and if given any gas at all itll die. so im leaning towards plugged fuel filter being the culprit. however a buddy thinks it could be the pumps bad which i dont see as it still runs, obviously i will be testing this stuff but with it raining outside and it being illegal to do anything with fuel in any apartment complex (shh) im trying to get ideas on the best places to look before jumping in
mzd4x4   +1y
so i replaced the fuel filter and still didnt fix it does anyone have any ideas??? i sprayed some starting fluid in the air filter and that caused a slight drop in rpm so im wondering if its getting too much fuel somehow
chilnviln   +1y
what kind of fuel filter.... OEM or one of those cheap see through kinds? If it was the see through kind I would think you would see if there was not enough gas trickling through it to rule out a bad fuel pump. I'm thinking vacuum or timing. you could let it run for a bit and pull a spark plug to do a sniff test to see whether it's soaked in gas or strong gas odor. did the bolt on the distributor come loose and mess with timing?
mzd4x4   +1y
oem replacement filter, the fuel system seems to be working right still dont know whats wrong with it tho
stink   +1y
Have a look at your spark plugs. They may tell you something.
mzd4x4   +1y
yeah someone had mentioned the spark plugs before but i just didnt see how that could cause it, but since ur the third person thats mentioned ill be replacing those too. ive already replaced the fuel filter and fuel sock, and literally blew up a garage sale pressure tester while testing the pump (working alright till the truck started then it maxed out and then a pop an fuel started gushing out of the guage, it was awsome) oh coil and plug wires are new too
chilnviln   +1y
spark plugs not necessarily a cause, basically just checking them for color and smell.... tells if you're running rich/lean/hot/cold or burning oil/antifreze and then you can rule things out instead of throwing money at it and not resolving anything.
mzd4x4   +1y
so far the only thing thats caused a change when disconnected it that piece that screws in at the throttle lever (looks kinda like a nipple) with a single wire that runs to the front corner of the head. no idea what its called or what its for but adjusting it or disconnecting it is the only thing thats caused a change. any info on that thing would be appriciated
mzd4x4   +1y
so my spark plugs did need replaced but wasnt the issue, most of them were white and one was black (dont know what it means) any more thoughts because im all out of ideas except i will be taking a can of MAF cleaner to it just to see if that could be it
axel breaker earl   +1y
Have you looked at the ECU board yet?
What your experiencing is definitely the symptoms of an ECU that has had the capacitors leak and is messing up the fuel injection circuitry.
There are 2 capacitors on the board, pull the computer and remove the cover to take a look at the board around those 2 capacitors.....if there is corrosion around them, you've found the problem.
The ECU is located behind the passenger side kick panel.....disconnect the battery before removing the ECU.