Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.6L \  Head Gasket... Do I Need To Remove Timing Chain Tensioner

Head Gasket... Do I Need To Remove Timing Chain Tensioner

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 4037
replies 9
following 2

aaron001au   +1y
Hey i Got A 01 Couirer and They Have The Same 2.6i Engine As The B2600...

I've Done A Head Gasket And Have To Replace It The Only Thing Im Not Sure On Is If I Have To Loosen Off The Timing Chain Tensioner And Than How Do You Set It Back To The Right Point ? Is It Self Adjusting ?

Can i just Slide The Head Over The Timing Chain With Out Undoing It ???

Any Help Would Be Great !

Thanks Aaron
Post was last edited on Nov 18, 2011 01:11. This post has been edited 2 times.
watster9   +1y
I just (halfway) did my head gasket, I had trouble finding the notch on the crank pulley but after really looking at it the mark was there. I didn't have to remove my tensioner though and I wouldnt either, it really sounds like a pain. But if you already have it off I would just make sure you are at TDC and tighten it until it is almost too tight, you do not want any slack at all. I might have just made myself sound like a retard and I could possibly be wrong about all of this but i'm just giving you my opinion. I hope it all works out for you
aaron001au   +1y

Thanks for the info ... the only reason i ask is because when the rocker cover is off and you look down were the timing chain go's there is what looks to be a tensioner but i could be wrong .... when you did yours did u just undo the little gear on the end of the cam pulley that the dizzy go's to and undo the head bolts and slide the head over it ?

from what i can see you need to undo the tensioner .... im a little confused casue a few people said i need to undo the tensioner and other have told me i dont ....
watster9   +1y
yes thats exactly what i did. i had a friend hold up the sprocket while i lifted it up. but you can remove the head bolts before you detach the sprocket. make sure who ever is holding the sprocket when you pull the head has a good grip. also once you get it off and tie up the sprocket, shove a rag in there so nothing can fall in. this is from my experience, picking up my head next week. also another thing you might want to do if you engine has high mileage like mine is replace the rings and bearings. I thought it was going to be so hard but all i did was disconnect the rods from the crank and pushed the pistons up through the block and slapped the rings on, then before I reattached the rod i replaced the bearings between the rod and crank. I had help from a friend who is a very experienced mechanic but overall it took about 3 hours. if you do know a good mechanic they should be able to replace rings and bearings for you for less than 200 usd while the engine still sits in the truck.. good luck
aaron001au   +1y

ok than just so its 100 % clear i can slide the head over the cam gear with out undoing the timing chain tensioner ?
watster9   +1y
yes
aaron001au   +1y

Awesome ... thanks heaps for your help .... will the gear stay in place with the chain or will i need to put some wire throw it to hold it up ?
aaron001au   +1y
ok got the head off today .... but the timing chain tensioner came all the way out and the spring all most fell down in to the oil pan .... how do i reset it to the right tension ???
watster9   +1y
Dude I don't know, you didn't even have to remove the tensioner. I've never gotten that far and it looks like I'm the only one who bothered to respond to your thread so it looks like you are on your own. good luck man I hope it works out.
aaron001au   +1y

its all good ... i pulled the casing for the tensioner out to day and put it back together ill put it back in once the heads on and every thing is lined up ... its not as bad as i thought it was going to be ....
Page 1 of 1