threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.6L \  87 2.6l mits engine in a 92 b2600i 4x4?

87 2.6l mits engine in a 92 b2600i 4x4?

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3963
replies 8
following 8

watster9   +1y
Does the '87 mitsubishi engine work with a 92 b2600i 4x4 tranny, motor mounts etc? also to convert it to FI do i need the cylinder head from the 2.6 FI engine? any help would be great I found an engine in Macon GA.
dat dood   +1y
Can't completely answer this, but I'll contribute what I can. It's my understanding that the 2600 engine from 86-88 was a Mitsubishi engine and was replaced by a Mazda 2600 engine in 88. '88 seems to be a crossover year. That said, I doubt any of the engine stuff (heads, cams, etc) will not crossover between the two. The transmission, I don't know. May have same bellhousing pattern, may not. Same goes for engine mounts. If you're referring to using the Mitz engine, head and FI in place of the Mazda 2.6 I think you're going to find a headache. Found this, too:
91extcab   +1y
I believe the mistu motor went till 89 or 90...here's how to tell the difference between the mitsu and the mazda 2.6 motors... Mazda's 2.6 ONLY came fuel injected... mitsu one is only carb'd they won't easily swap unless you change everything... And putting a carb'd motor in a vehicle that came stock with fi is illegal in some states
elbine69   +1y
The Mitsubishi and Mazda engines are completely different. They use different transmissions, have different motor mounts, etc. Nothing is interchangeable between the two engines.
86-88 had the Mitsu carb engine.
89-93 had the Mazda FI engine.

If your looking to convert a Mitsu 2.6 from carb to FI, look into swapping the wiring from the Starion, they use the same engines.
watster9   +1y
cool thanks for the responses i think the swap is going to be much of a pain to find everything for it. i guess ill just do the bearings and rings in my mazda engine then. my truck has 300,000 and my only option is to put a rebuilt head on it. (what the head shop says) is it hard to do the rod bearings and the rings while the engine is still in the truck? i think that will help with the compression difference of the new head.

thanks again
slamsonthedawgmaster   +1y
Just hunt around Craigslist.. the turbo starion 2.6 bolts directly in place on an early 2600 truck.. they are usually around pretty cheap because the bodies rot to all hell.. the later end starions are Injected and doing the conversion is pretty easy into the Mazda, its almost a stand alone harness for the injected engine.. probably be alittle more cost effective as well than rebuilding your original engine
macmazdab2.687   +1y
great scott, what am i gonna do! i have a (apparently) mitsubishi engine in an 87 b2600i i'm swapping out for for a (apparently) mazda 93 b2600i. but if their totally different and and ones carbed then the wiring in the 87 body wont work for the 93 engine. right? and maybe the driveshaft wont fit. sick
charlesskelter   +1y
All 83-89 Starion and Conquest engines are throttle body injected. The only real difference through the years (engine wise) was turbo size as well as being intercooled or non intercooled, depending on if it was a flat sider or a wide body.

It must be nice living up north where everything rusts out quick. Down here everyone thinks they are gold since the drift craze.

87_b2600   +1y
first off i have never heard of a 87 b2600i. and no, the b2600 motors can not fit into the 2600i's. and that is weird haveing a 87 b2600i. never heard of it lol. just my .02.
Page 1 of 1