Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.6L \  timing is off

timing is off

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1673
replies 8
following 6

ticoracer   +1y
i was doing some routine maintainance on my 2.6 and unfortunately i had to take out the complete distributor and replace by a donor 2.6 one. the problem is that now I have mess up the timing, any ideas on how i can get timed back? is a 1991
ticoracer   +1y
anybody
ticoracer   +1y
does anybody have pics of the correct timing marks on a 2.6 besides the one on the crankshaft pulley?
ticoracer   +1y
so, is clearly that nobody in here knows how to set up the timing on a 2600i or nobody really wants to help me at all.... tanks anyways, i'll get it started someday
baha   +1y
What is it doing that makes you believe that it is the timing? Are you sure the the wires are hooked up in the right order?

This is the order for wiring
2.6L on the engine block front to back
1 - 2 - 3 -4

Distributor Cap Starting at the top left and going clockwise
1 - 3 - 2 - 4

For Timing
There should be a yellow mark on the crank shaft, align that with the white mark on the timing cover. I looked this information up in the manual hope this helps.
87_b2600   +1y
also did you mark your old distributor while you where taking it out so that you could line up the new one when you go to put it on?
artimus   +1y
I have a B2600 (with a g54b), what pictures would you like? I can take some and post them if thats really what you need.

*Edit*
ive had some problems replace the distributor as well and I ended up rotating the wires on the cap by 45 degrees (the next one going clockwise) to get it to run correctly as the haynes manual was wrong

Hope that helps, let me know about the pics and I should be able to post some tomorrow pm.

-Artimus
91b2200(cody)   +1y
you dont have any sort of manual? like a haynes or chilton?

might wanna invest the $20 or whatever it is for one.
midnite   +1y
well i don't have pics, but i can try to talk you through this one. Set your engine to top dead center, pull out your old distributor, now on the input shaft (moving part) there are going to be two full circle marks from the casting on both sides of the shaft, ignore them, you are looking for a small hole that looks like its drilled in about 1/2" from the distributor about the thickness of the lead of a pencil, the stationary part of the distributor there should be a burr that's on the top half of the shaft line those two up. now when you slide it in you want to make sure that your adjustment bolts are semi lined up and partially threaded maybe a quarter turn (if manageable) now turn the distributor clockwise all the way (looking at it from the drivers side towards the engine) and then slide it into place. just to be safe remove your cap and make sure that your rotor is pointed towards the 1 spot. if not pop of your rotor and adjust. put everything back together and tighten it all down. you should be at stock timing. hoping i didn't miss anything
Page 1 of 1