New fuel pump -- now no power

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 735
replies 5
following 3

maxda   +1y
1991 B2600i 4x4, Manual Trans.
Guys,

My tank was doing the Mazda leak, so I decided to replace it. While I was in there, I decided to replace the pump also. Got everything put back together and plugged in the pigtail wire connector from the sending unit to the one on the frame rail. I turned the key, had my brother listen to make sure the pump was initializing... he heard nothing. I unplugged the connection and tested all of the wires coming from the harness on the frame to make sure we had power to the plug, but got nothing. It drove into the garage less than a week ago just fine.

I checked all of the fuses under the dash and they're good. I pulled the one under the hood (30 A) labeled "fuel injection" and inspected it with my eyes, but it looked just fine.

My question is:
1. Could this be a computer issue?
2. Could I have hooked the wires up wrong replacing the pump and caused something to burn out? (+ from the pump is going to the lone red wire connector that goes into the top of the sending unit. Sending unit/float wire is going to the 2 black wires that also run down on the top of the sending unit. Pump is grounded to the bottom part of the unit, inside the tank.)

Any suggestions would help at this point. I'm at a complete loss.

Thank you,
Ben
elbine69   +1y
Have you checked the fuel pump relay? If you have no power through the wires to the pump, Id suspect thats the problem.
maxda   +1y
Where is the fuel pump relay located? How can it be checked?
mazdatweaker   +1y
I think most of this has already been answered. . .

maxda   +1y
I just got home from work and am heading out to the garage. I was wondering if I had, for some stupid reason, hooked the wires up backwards (pump/sending unit) -- would that burn out a relay or inertia switch?

Any info is much appreciated!

Ben
maxda   +1y
Ended up being the relay. Thank you MazdaTweaker for the schematics and advice!
Page 1 of 1