threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.6L \  Hmmm.... 2.6L to MPV2.6L to MPV3.0 SOHC to 929 3.0 DOHC??

Hmmm.... 2.6L to MPV2.6L to MPV3.0 SOHC to 929 3.0 DOHC??

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1587
replies 10
following 6

originalmazdawg   +1y
You get it? From what I have been told and understand, the MPV comes with the same 2.6L that is in my beloved B2600i. I also have been told that the MPV comes with a 3.0L V-6 SOHC. Then I was told that the MPV uses the same block as the 3.0L V-6 "DOHC" that comes in the 929. The 929 from that generation was also RWD.

If all this is true, how hard can it be to drop in a 3.0L DOHC V-6 from a 91-92 Mazda 929 that allegedly puts down 195hp?? (200hp, here I come!!) Imagine that, 200+ hp, the intoxicating sound of a revving 6 cyl, and Mazda loyalty... Hmmmm...

And if that info is not correct, then how can I find out which part(s) are not correct? And which ones (if any) are correct?

Maybe the available motor mounts for the MPV will help mount this motor in my truck. Someone else said that the RX7 uses similiar tranny housings, that (if true) will open up more oppurtunities for gearing. Might lose torque with that one tho, not sure.

Does anyone have any info to add or share? Opinions maybe? more ideas?
futrao   +1y
i dunno about the engine but i do know the the 1st gen rx7 and miata are interchangeable but u do have to swap the b2200 bell housing and tail housing and but them on the rx7 or miata trann, there are a few 1st gens rx7 tranny to chus from and there is one that has the same gear ratio than the b2200 except for 5th
elbine69   +1y
There was a little discussion and info about that motor a little while ago in the engine section I believe.
bodied b2600zx (josh)   +1y
wow, that sound interesting, i think i'll look for some of those at the junkyard next time. One thing i've been wonderin but i can never find one is, is the intake manifold on the 2.6 MPV the same as a b2600i??? B/C I did a cavalier intake manifold swap on my s10. They are the same motor but the intakes are diff, so it helps with BD's cuz the intake goes down the side of the motor as opposed to on top....

I wanna know if i could do this with my b2600 or if they are the same exact intakes.
originalmazdawg   +1y

Correct me, someone, if I am wrong, but I do believe the intakes are the same.
bodied b2600zx (josh)   +1y
thats what i was guessin cuz the gaskets for the intake manifold are exactly the same.... so they have to be 2 piece jus like the b2600....
blownvq   +1y
Im going to start researching this. I want a V6 in my B2600i from an early 90s MPV...Should be able to find a donor cheap. Anyone know somebody whos done this swap?
fatman   +1y
from what I've been told the mpv 2.6 block is different where the tranny bolts on but if you get motor and tranny then you're just a couple mounts away from a v6!!
originalmazdawg   +1y

how can we find out if they are indeed different? who here has access to those types of resources? I would love to find out more...
fatman   +1y
i was told that by a local junkyard. the guy said they had a program that tells them what parts interchange. he just told me they bolt in different at the bellhousing . you might check with your local yard and they might have a lil more info