Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.2L \  understaning timing?

understaning timing?

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1006
replies 9
following 2

kimballs   +1y
how do you replace a timing belt on a Mazda b2200, with out marking lines. say I went to replace mine and for some odd reason I messed up and didn't mark the belt with the pulleys or gears. how would one set the timing on a engine manually?
kimballs   +1y
by the way lets just say its a 93 lmfao?
Cusser   +1y

See

kimballs   +1y
thanks again cusser you must be on here a lot because this is the third post you've help me out on with in the past 2 day lmfao.
Cusser   +1y

I stayed home this weekend, just doing some small jobs around the house, taking it easy. Stayed here because the Phoenix weather was unseasonably nice, and my kids weren't around, so have been watching Pirates on MLB Extra Innings, had happy hour on Patio Friday and Sunday, went out to dinner Saturday, grilled nice dinner Sunday. Today I have off work, we might bicycle to breakfast, and doing breakfast together is something we rarely do.

After working on my daughter's '98 Pathfinder several times since April 19 to get that running better than ever (OK, I stumbled upon the power increase restore, but I'm fine with that) and replaced the difficult steering boots. And replaced the bad PS pump on my B2200, so all I did this weekend with the B2200 was take it to dinner, wash it, check its oil, and air up the tires. So I guess I needed a weekend like this.

Here, Phoenix people are typically so desperate to get out of the heat that the one highway to the north (two lanes, same as 40 years ago) is utterly packed Friday afternoons and Sunday afternoons, and way worse Monday afternoons on a 3-day holiday, so I'd typically wait until the next morning to return. Next weekend, Mrs. Cusser will be away at dog agility, so the 3rd dog and I will likely do a day trip up north, do some weeds-mowing, as it's supposed to return to over 100F by then.
kimballs   +1y
Wow you got a lot on your hands lol, where I saw you rebuilt your engine for the old 2200. Are you a mechanic?
Cusser   +1y

I am an analytical chemist, in the consumer products business, I develop test procedures for new analyses and do manufacturing troubleshooting.

As a teenager I knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about vehicles, not even how to change a spark plug. I had a VW, took a job as "mechanic's helper" for a guy who rebuilt VW engines that paid a whopping $50 per week, in a real crummy neighborhood, my chance to learn as I was always good at taking household stuff apart; took out an engine on my 2nd day with his supervision. With that learning, was in college and got a job as mechanic at a local VW & dune buggy rental business with about 60 cars.

In college, economy was bad with all interviews cancelled; after graduation, a company moved here needing people for its R&D lab, just a chance timing and I latched on with them, and survived/thrived there ever since. When future Mrs. Cusser #1 got a 1975 Chevy Luv, I started branching out into "other vehicles", knew my limitations and learned whatever I could (today there are some decent tutorials on YouTube, and especially in the Members' Write-Ups here and on Mazdatrucking.com).

When I did the B2200 engine in 2011, I hadn't installed pistons in any vehicle since 1986, and that was on the VW !!!

But I've accumulated decent tools, wouldn't flinch from trying a B2200 clutch or stuff like that. In my B2200 rebuild, had to do that within a few years as I couldn't be sure that I would want to crawl underneath like 60 times in a short period, but feel I could still do that !

I try to fix just about anything I can around the house; last year I had a roof leak, had to fix a ceiling board, install new ceiling fan, and it was time to put down a floating wood floor in that room as well.

So in answer to your first question: US IRS records for 1975 show my occupation as mechanic !!! I think mechanics background and my troubleshooting experience from work make me better at both !!!

I estimate that have saved hundreds of thousand $$$ by fixing and maintaining my own stuff, from building 28-foot carport for the Yukon to the swimming pool filter install coming up in a week. That filter is $165 shipped on Internet to my work location, local for a non-exact fit would be over $300 plus tax plus trip crosstown to pick it up.
kimballs   +1y
wow I did look at your rebuild a couple of days ago, I noticed that you had a weber and removed all your emissions. how did you delete the egr tubes coming off the exhaust? did you cut and wield and hammer down the remaining tubes and wield them shut. Or did you remove the tubes and cut out a piece of metal and bolt it there with a gasket? if you had time to add a picture of what you did, it would be appreciated my friend.

your history of mechanical comprehension and experience is impressive that why I'm over loading you with these questions lol. all help is useful to me. thank you and good luck with the pool filter,
Cusser   +1y
I don't weld, and I didn't hammer anything. See " target="_blank" target="_blank

I unbolted the stuff, made a block-off for the exhaust piece bottom from a rectangular piece of metal (I used a Simpson Strong-Tie from Home Depot and cut it shorter), rounded off the corners, drilled two holes in it for bolts to pass through, and bolted that on where this tube connected (bottom of this photo).
thread post photo

Here's a photo, as bolted on my truck; the hole at the left in the photo is for the dipstick (I removed that for the photo).
thread post photo

thread post photo
kimballs   +1y
thanks again Cusser, this is exactly what I needed to know to do my emissions removal project.
Page 1 of 1