Mazda 2.2L \  B2200 Head Issues

B2200 Head Issues

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2546
replies 12
following 5

jadamski   +1y
Hello fellow MazdaMen,
I've been doing some reading and just not finding the answer I'm looking for. I want to know if i can just replace my Hyd head for a mechanical one. Take the old one off and put a new adjustable one on.

I dont want to tear them both apart to make my old head adjustable like I've seen others do.

I have an 89 B2200 with 5 Speed and Weber/Pacesetter conversion done last fall.

Any help or input would sure help, thanks
89bluedemon   +1y
Direct swap. Just make sure you use the right head gasket for your motor. The 2.0 and 2.2 have slight differences in the oil port on the head gasket.
jadamski   +1y
Ok thank you. Ebay says it'll fit but we all know how reliable that info is sometimes. Also will I need to get new head bolts or are the old one resuable?
89bluedemon   +1y
Some say you can reuse them, others say don't. Personally I would replace them just to be safe.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
The heads themselves are interchangable. Make sure you run a tap down the cylinder head bolt holes so they don't bind the bolts.
Cusser   +1y
I re-used my head bolts when I rebuilt my B2200 engine Oct. 2011. Axel Breaker Earl told me to do that.

Check/re-torque at about 500-600 miles.
jadamski   +1y
So I started this swap yesterday. I have the intake off the header off and the front cover unbolted and moved out of the way. The problem is I can't get the head to separate from the block. I'm wondering if I missed any bolts that are hidden? Or if there are any tricks to get these things apart. Any help would be awesome
mymmeryloss   +1y
Do you own a rubber mallet?
jadamski   +1y
Unfortunately I don't. I tried wood and a hammer. Looks like I will be going to get a mallet or dead blow
mymmeryloss   +1y
Are you sure you got all the bolts out?