Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.2L \  Fuel issue.. Odd.

Fuel issue.. Odd.

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1122
replies 7
following 3

mazduh89   +1y
Okay, i have 88 Mazda b2200 automatic. loaded. I can turn the key to build pressure and it will start up. then die out 15-30 seconds later.. My 89 is a stripped out SE5 5 spd with a Manual pump... So.. no issues with that one... Could it be a sign of the Electric pump dying? not building enough?... If i swap it to a manual pump. like the 89 would i need to drop the tank or can i just remove the wires?. so the manual pump can drag the fuel up. Thanks.
dan woodland   +1y
Look at the ECU under the passenger kick panel. It's a common failure point of the EFI trucks.
mazduh89   +1y
This is still a carb.
befarrer   +1y
I assume it is wired similar to the EFI trucks. The fuel pump relay has 2 inputs, one from the ignition switch and one from the ECU. When the ignition switch is in the start position, it turns the relay on via the ignition switch, once the ignition switch is turned away from the start position, the ECU sends the signal to keep the fuel pump running. Since yours is carbed, then I assume in the 15-20 seconds it keeps running is how long it takes to drain the fuel bowl. My educated guess is that the fuel pump relay is not getting a signal from the ECU to turn on, what is causing that needs further diagnostic.

However, I could be wrong on the ECU controlling the fuel pump, it may be controlled by an oil pressure switch or another switch on the motor.
dan woodland   +1y
That it is, I guess I needed some sleep.

dan woodland   +1y
Did you look at the fuel filter? My automatic ran great, I got gas then it didn't. Turned out to be the fuel filter. It would run for short bursts like yours.

Dan
mazduh89   +1y
Checked the fuel. Filter. Looks good. I'm thinking its a relay
mazduh89   +1y
Running. Wired the fuel pump to a 12v ing point
Page 1 of 1