Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.2L \  Distributor air gap

Distributor air gap

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1447
replies 7
following 2

geterdun   +1y
I bought a used distributor. I took my distributor apart to inspect (carb. model). Freed up mechanical advance and vacuum. The bearing was immovable (caked up, dried grease). I Cleaned bearing and mechanical advance best I could with paint brush and gas. I let it set in gas about an hour in the sun, while doing other things. I picked it up, it spun freely, washed in gas, followed with carb cleaner spray. Next I oiled it and spun it to circulate the oil and repacking it with grease. Should I have used just oil? I reassemble all.

Anyway the question is, what is the air gap for the pickup/reluctor? I find gap is 0.8 for '87-'88 model 2600 in Clinton's, would 89 model be the same?
sincitylocal   +1y
I checked the factory service manual and could not find an air gap spec.
Throw it in and try .08
geterdun   +1y
I have no resistance across pickup leads, bad?
sincitylocal   +1y
It's bad.

Have a look at this.
thread post photo
geterdun   +1y
Picture does not open.
sincitylocal   +1y
It opens on my PC, but not my phone...

How about this one?
thread post photo
geterdun   +1y
Thought so, ordered it yesterday. I tried to get the coil to spark yesterday, off vehicle, making and breaking connection on lead on the + terminal, No spark, ordered that too, but an oil filled canister. Must have been the problem initially.
Sucked on vacuum line connected to advance, leaks down, trying to find that now, $32 plus special order shipping from NAPA, if they can get it. Push comes to shove I will heat and uncurl the crimp on the old one, manufacture and install a new billows in the old one.
Distributor is from an 87 b2200, difference is 0.278" in length. I cut the b2200 down 0.278, reassembled it, slid the gear on it, put in vee block, drill half way through from one side, press the pin in, drilled through the other side, pressed pin through, extra shaft will hit nothing.
geterdun   +1y
Finally had a day it was not raining or near freezing and had the parts (ordered a new module). Realized, thanks to Mazdatweaker's mental nudge. The module breaks ground, just like GM, grounding the coil -, Ground was never broke becuase I had the = terminal to ground. I was thinking all along that the tach wire went to ground somewhere, so it was right. Then realized, that was another circuit (just like on GM,duh).
Started it today, in my shorts (63, rain later).
Page 1 of 1