Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.2L \  Loses power at 2000 RPM

Loses power at 2000 RPM

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1089
replies 6
following 3

reno88b2200   +1y
Thanks so much for this community. You guys have helped me! I went from having "Yard Art" to a driving truck! The problem is she is losing power and stalling out at 2000 RPM. I cannot go over 30 MPH... New plugs, wires, timing is finally set. I went through the trouble of getting rid of the egr via block off plate, also made a block off for the 2 hot air tubes coming off of the exhaust. Checked the cats, they are not clogged. Also rented a block tester, head gasket seems fine. I have heard from others on the site to now unplug the ecu and tune the carb. This truck will not run without the ECU. When I unplug it...it goes dead. I have white smoke until 2000 RPMS and when it starts missing at 2000, I get black soot smoke. Thanks so much for the help...I almost have a good running truck!
chaserjohndoe   +1y
what type of truck do you have, carb or fuel injected? 2.0, 2.2 or 2.6?
reno88b2200   +1y
Carbed, 2.2....1988
chaserjohndoe   +1y
check all your vacuum lines and your choke to make sure they are ok. also make sure the block plate you made is good, when I made mine it wasn't sealed well enough.
mazdafvr   +1y
when you unplug your ecu u gota bump the idle up and tune it from there. the computer tells the carb what to do for some stupid reason mazda thought this was a good idea. lol. maybe check your timing? and make sure that block off plate aint leaking. u can spray some carb cleaner around it and iff the idle goes up or changes, you might have a leak. i cant explain the white smoke tho if your head gaskets good. but incase, id keep an eye on the coolant level.
reno88b2200   +1y
Appreciate it man. I will go from there...
reno88b2200   +1y
Engine running fine now ....Bad Distributor. Thanks for all of the help.
Page 1 of 1