Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.2L \  High idle that I can not get down

High idle that I can not get down

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 6209
replies 4
following 4

tucnrim   +1y
OK When I start my truck and it idles it is at 1500 rpm.. when driving and stopping it is at or just above 2,000 rpm. I have tried to adjust the idle screw and it does not go down, but turned the other way it will go up in idle. I was told to move the distributor a little forward, so I tried that. It goes down to about 1100 rpm and runs smooth, but has no power at all when you drive. Any thing else i can try here? Distributor is just about half way between back/forward. They are supposed to idle at 800 rpm correct?
mazdaman82   +1y
have you tryed the set screw for the throtle, or maybe the the cable itself
tucnrim   +1y
yes i have tried the set screw for the trottle.. and the cable doesnt affect it any...

just checked again to make sure on the cable and it is a little on the loose side so it isnt pulling the cable any when the gas is not being pressed
dvsdev   +1y
There's a little pressure pot on some of the carbs, it's on the opposite end of the carb to where the cable connects, (towards the front) it's job is to slowly lower the revs to idle after you let off the gas too quick (gear changes, emergency stopping etc.) I found my engine would idle real high for ages and I tried adjusting everything until I noticed that bit.
Backing it off a bit was all I had to do and it fixed my problem, otherwise try lubricating your linkages with white lithium grease, sometimes it can be just a little too hard for the spring to pull it back that last little bit.
speedster93b   +1y
set your timing at 6 or 8 degrees BTDC. do that before fucking with anything else first.
Page 1 of 1