Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.2L \  engine not running properly

engine not running properly

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1326
replies 4
following 4

slamjammatt   +1y
hey all my 2.2l carb engine started leaking like a sieve out of like every seal so i took my engine apart and replaced all the seals then put my engine back together and i think i might have moved the valves and cylinders so they are not in the right position
my question is what is the easiest way to get the cylinders valves and distributer in the right place so it will fire up

p.s. when i try and start my engine it wont stay running and the carb back fires
88ext22   +1y
K It does sound like your timing is off. I'll double check the markings and stuff when I go to work today. I havent done my timing belt yet lol. But you need to get your engine on TDC (Top dead Cyclinder) Which means your #1 piston needs to be all the way up. you'll have markings on your cam gear for the right alignment. (I'll get you a pic of that tomorrow). And your distributor will have to be installed a certain way but Im not exactly sure. I'll find out for sure on it all tomorrow and i'll let you know.
mazdaman82   +1y
well i was allwas told to put the distributor faceing number 1, so number one should face number one,,,at tdc
90-b22dawg [andrew]   +1y
your inital timing needs to be aligned first. if you still have the factory fan take it off. undo all the belts that are around the harmonic pulley. you will need to take the harmonic balancer pulley off (6 10mm bolts inside the pulley around the main bolt, you do not need to take the main bolt out, that bolt holds the crank gear to the crank) be careful no to drop the harmonic pulley, it will break if it drops on the ground. take the top and lower timing cover off (10mm bolts, 4on the top cover and 2 on the bottom cover) once you have both of the covers off you need a 13/16s socket with atleast a 3/8s drive ratchet. turn the crank gear bolt clockwise till the bulge on the crank gear ligns up with the | mark on the oil pump (it will be straight up above the crank gear). now look at your cam gear. should have 1 facing/point straight to the \/. if its not there you will need to take the belt off and rotate it till 1is on that mark. in order to take the belt off you will need a 14mm wrench, loosen the tensioner pulley bolt but dont take it out, just a 1/2 turn or so (the one on the left side if your facing the front of the motor). theres a spring that holds the tensioner. take a pair of needle nose pliars and take the spring off the pin past the right side of the belt. the belt is still going to be a little tight on the cam gear. what i did is take a flat head screw driver and just work back and forth prying slightly untill its off the cam gear. in order to turn the cam gear you will need a 17mm socket. turn it clockwise till you get the 1 ligned up with the \/ arrow that is at the top of the block. reinstall the belt and everything else. now to check and see if your distributor is facing #1 since everything else is. first take the two screws out of the dist. cap and see where the button is facing. it should be dead on #1 before you check and set finial timing. if its to far off to adjust the dist. to lign up wih it you will need to take the 12mm bolt thats hold the dist. in the block out and pull the dist. out about 2inches and turn the button to where it needs to be (when you push the dist. back in, the button is going to turn counter clockwise about a 1/8 turn or so, so keep that in mind when trying to lign it up with #1, it may take you a few times to get it exacly where you need it). if all else is fine it should fire up. after that check timing with your timing light and set it to 6
slamjammatt   +1y
thanks for all the help and the quick response i will get on that cause i wanna be able to take it to the cali shows
Page 1 of 1