Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.2L \  Pacesetter header hitting trans bellhousing

Pacesetter header hitting trans bellhousing

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1862
replies 12
following 7

skrapinsask   +1y
Well i picked up my pace setter header this morning and 2 of the lower inside tubes right before the collector make contact with the bell housing area right where it makes contact with the block. Has anyone run into this? do all pacesetter headers require modification for installation? i was under the impression this would fit without a problem since there's about 5" of extra space towards the driver side. I just drove back home from the shop to clarify before i either send this back through my local shop
Post was last edited on Dec 30, 2009 04:12. This post has been edited 1 times.
skrapinsask   +1y
Never heard of anyone else having this issue
guys with pace setter's please chime in.

Thanks!
jester   +1y
If you have an automatic tranny you will have to cut a chunk out of your bellhousing, if you have a manual tranny it shouldn't be a problem. There are quite a few threads on this in the engines catagory.
skrapinsask   +1y
I have an automatic trans. I must have totally over looked those threads.
Thanks for your quick reply, ill have this installed within the hour
skrapinsask   +1y
if any one else has to do this don't waste your time with a
grinding disk, go right for the cutting disk
immortal1 (linn)   +1y
Good to hear ya got this one handled. And yes, "grinding" aluminum can be a long process. Cutting wheels definitely do a better job. If you can, throw up that pic you posted in your other thread into this thread so others will get the idea of what is needed.
skrapinsask   +1y
At first i was trying to be conservative and just grind then test fit but after about 20 test fits and no go i went to serious business with the cutting wheel. It would be nice to have an air die grinder to get up in there because using the hand grinder was a bit sloppy it tight spaces.

What i did was completely remove the support bracket than connects the bell housing to the block and removed both bolts holding the bell housing to the block. I would say i cut over an 1 "and 1/4" into the side of the bell housing. This is a little scary at first because well lets face it your cutting your transmission while its installed but there is a lot of dead space before you enter the inner housing so you don't have to be too worried.

After this cutting the header will clear the trans by about 1.5 cm at most
jester   +1y
good work man
hocbj23   +1y
I have a pacesetter on an at truck and it fit fine,no grinding or cutting.bj
skrapinsask   +1y
^must be 5spd