Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.2L \  It just blowed up??? PLEASE READ ***UPDATED*** 11/29/09

It just blowed up??? PLEASE READ ***UPDATED*** 11/29/09

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2429
replies 15
following 11

p3arlb2200   +1y
Ok so I was coming home from work last night and my oil light was on so i figured id drive 2 more miles to the closest auto parts store and get some oil because I was scared it would seize or something. 2 exits before Im going to get off i put it in neutral to slow down and it back fires, when i pop it back in gear it grinds and kicks me out of gear and when I turn to look at my tach I noticed the engine died. Luckily I was going fast enough to coast off the freeway and to the nearest gas station safely. thinking the worst I call a tow truck. Before they get there I buy 2 quarts of 10-40 and drop them in, let them sit, and try to start it. It cranked so i isnt seized (thank god) but it also wont start. Didnt blow my HG either. Checked everything i possibly could and couldnt figure it out. Sounds like it isnt getting gas. Help please???
Post was last edited on Nov 29, 2009 06:11. This post has been edited 2 times.
88ext22   +1y
hate to say it man but i think its done. If it indeed lost pressure and you was goin 65+ at the time you would burn that motor up in a hurry. Its never good to run the engine AT ALL if you lose oil pressure, I have always just shut the engine off if the oil pressure light came on
kev6772   +1y
If you ran it without oil for any length of time, you have smoked the motor. Im sure if you were low on oil your engine temp was getting higher and higher. You may still have blown the HG along with your rings and valves very possibly being damaged. No oil = no good. IF it turns over but wont start and you still are getting fuel and spark...That means not enough compression based on what you said happened. I may be way off but just my 2cts.
mazdatweaker   +1y

. . .

The oil light comes on when the pressure drops below 3psi.

Someone told me:

The Oil Level Indicator Gauge (dipstick) is there to tell you when to add oil.
The Oil Light is there to tell you when to buy a motor.

Someone indicated that perhaps you have lost compression.
Without oil to lubricate the rings, 2500 degree combustion temperature plus friction is enough to cause them to get stuck in the piston lands. So they don't seal against the cylinder wall anymore.

Do a compression test.

Even if this is not a major issue, there is a really good chance that because the rods and mains were running without oil, they have been wiped out, creating excessive clearance on the crankshaft. Friction on those parts melts the lead bearing lining. If you pull the pan and check the crank journals, you may not have taken out the crank shaft.

So maybe you have a rebuild-able core right now.
sincitylocal   +1y
Years ago, my cousin did the same thing when the oil pump drive shaft broke in his 302...
That thing smoked like crazy after he changed the pump and shaft .
jmzcustomz (jeff)   +1y
Hmmm. I was gonna say check your timing. If you popped it into gear and it pushed it out that could have caused it to skip, stretch or break your timing belt. Also...your motor could be plain shot. Sorry dude hope it something easy fixable that will hold for a while.
toddluck   +1y
think you cooked it when the oil light comes on its too late
farfegnugen   +1y

I always thought when the oil light comes on its warm enough to cook egg's
jmzcustomz (jeff)   +1y
And Bacon! Woot woot Eggy and bakey time!
nonamedsomebody   +1y
I remember when mine came on I wasn't out of oil just low and i was going down hill I think it must have ran up into the smaller part of of the pan filled it up with oil and still running needs a rebuild but its running. Getting tired 163k miles is a lot on an original motor lol ive seen one at 250k at a car lot. I was like holy S*it