Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.2L \  tranny mount ears

tranny mount ears

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 842
replies 7
following 4

90-b22dawg [andrew]   +1y
ok so my last motor had ears(brackets) from the block(bolted on the sides) to the lower part of the trans (5spd manual) and had 4 smaller bolts that went through the bell housing of the tranny into the brackets making a total of 10 bolts from the bellhousing to the block. so now with the block and trans i bought from dropped90 i only used the 6 main bolts to bolt the trans (5spd manual) to the block. so why did mazda make two different trans bellhousings for the same block and same truck? (5spd manual)
below is the best picture of the ears i could get and as you can see they dont line up with the trans
Post was last edited on Oct 30, 2009 05:10. This post has been edited 1 times.
immortal1 (linn)   +1y
Interesting question Andrew. I have been around 3 different 2.2L motors / tranny's and all three had the additional bracing between the engine and the trans.

If I understand your question correctly the "ears' bolt up ok to the block but then will not mount to the transmission. Is it possible you have an older trans, say maybe from a 1986 2.0L bolted up to a newer say 1990 2.2L motor?
not sure what year the trans came out of... i bought the motor and trans from dropped90 on here.... he says his truck was an auto to begin with and did the swap.... hes not sure what year the trans is....
idminitrucker (jason)   +1y
Is the trans in the pic an auto? because I know the auto is different width on the bottom thats why the pacesetter header doesnt fit right with out some mods. so it would make sense that the brakets are different too.
nope... its 5 speed the motor has a header....
thread post photo
idminitrucker (jason)   +1y
well the only other thing I would think would be like linn said. Dont know if you have access to another set to see.
lofosho86   +1y
hell i usually throw those away!lol dont have them on either one of my trucks and no problems with either!
its not the issue of a problem... just wondering why the bell housings are different on this trans.... i know that a 350 only has 4 bolts from the block to the bell, so im more then assured the 6 bolts that are in the bell and block now will be plenty
Page 1 of 1