Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.2L \  trans level

trans level

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1000
replies 8
following 4

fitbmx180   +1y
i want to change my transmission oil, was just wondering how much oil is needed when i drain the pan.
92 mazda b2200
mazdatweaker   +1y
1992 Mazda Truck B Series Truck 2WD L4-2184cc 2.2L 2200 2-bbl

Automatic Transmission Oil
Note: Approximate, make final check with dipstick. R4A-EL Transmission Oil Pan Only 4.2 qt (US)
Total Capacity 9.1 qt (US)
N4A-HL transmission Oil Pan Only 4.2 qt (US)
Total Capacity 7.9 qt (US)

I'm not going to repost this in the other thread you asked this same question in.
fitbmx180   +1y
thanks a lot
unfinished business   +1y
you know by just dropping the pan and empting out that fluid your only getting about 1/3 of the fluid out right?
fitbmx180   +1y
thats all i want to doo ^^
90-b22dawg [andrew]   +1y
then why did you ask how much the trans holds?
mazdatweaker   +1y
The reason he may have asked is because he didn't know how many quarts of replacement ATF to buy. . .

And if it were me doing this little chore, to do it correctly, there is a way to evacuate it all without pulling the pan.

I learned this one from a Master ASE tech.

Get two clean buckets, each big enough to hold 5 gallons.

Disconnect one cooler line at the radiator. Connect a separate hose to the radiator where you took off the line.

One hose goes into each bucket.

Get 10 quarts of ATF. That is 2 gallons, and 2 quarts, or three gallons and have a little left over.

You start the engine, let it idle, and one of the lines starts discharging into one pan.

You start adding fluid to the other bucket.

You keep adding fluid until the fluid starts coming out clean. (About 2 gallons, 2 quarts)

Then you shut off the engine, reconnect your lines, restart the engine, check for leaks and final dipstick level.

That pumps all the fluid out of the transmission, torque converter, and cooler, and replaces it with 100% new.

It will take some time but if you are changing fluid anyway . . .
fitbmx180   +1y
yea man^ thanks a lot, im going to prob do that, mind as well
unfinished business   +1y
^^^ never thought about doin it that way but hey sounds like it will work to me, when i worked at AAMCO Transmissions they had this ghetto tranny flush machine that consisted of a pump on top of a 15 gallon barrel, we would disconnect the lines at the radiator, fill the barrel up with however much fluid we needed and put the the other part of the line in a 5 gallon bucket and plug it in, ghetto but it worked!!! now at my new job we have a actual tranny flush machine
Page 1 of 1