Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.2L \  lifter tick...

lifter tick...

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 6237
replies 14
following 9

89bseries   +1y
ok so my truck has roughly 200k on it...i bought it with 185k...so im not sure what the motor has been thru. i have an intense tick going on. and the motor just doesnt seem overwhelmingly strong.

so i was thinking about doing the 2.0l head swap. is this my best option? for what i read you just pull off the 2.2 head, swap in some new gaskets, and bolt the 2.0 down. then id just adjust the lifters, connect everything, then im good to go?

by all means im no motor guy. any and all info would be huge.and anyone know what the lifters should be adjusted to, when i get the 2.0?

oh and i know this isnt the wanted section, but if anyones got a head let me know
jmzcustomz (jeff)   +1y
Welcome to a mazda! The tick is pretty common. How severe it is though could be a serious problem. I would check to see if can adjust your lifters... if not you may be able to take them completely apart and clean them. The oil injectors in the lifters sometime get clogged. This link may help....

You can put on a 2.0 head I just know there are some things that you will have to do. This link has a bit of information on the swap.
slamsonthedawgmaster   +1y
hahaha..dude!! you shoulda asked me when you were here!!...i coulda answered your question..
89bseries   +1y
haha yea i forgot all about my motor issues when i was down there....its not a sevre tick, it is loud but ive heard worse

i dont really do motors, but we did full fluid change, distributer cap, wires, plugs, and did a compression test when i got it...all went well

its just noisy...from what ive read if i get the head from a FE...i should be allset, i think....since im not a motor guy taking everything out and grinding em jsut doesnt seem like my cup of tea...

i dunno any other thoughts?
mazdawg(mikey)   +1y
if you can find some solid lifters off of a 2.0 head you could just swap them and save the hassle of a head swap. dropped90 did a how to on this. aearch for that dude. i would but im on my mobile right now. if you dont find it by time i get home ill look for it
rufus   +1y

A little help, since Mikey is mobile. =)
slamsonthedawgmaster   +1y
if you do that just make sure you use JUST the rocker arms..not the cam caps! use the original cam caps that came off your head..i've done one by just changing the whole cam holder/rocker assembly and had major issues! loose cam and major oil leakage insued..since there are no cam bearings and the cam runs right on the head it is machined to match
89bseries   +1y
alright, so i just made my exhaust vertually silent. oh man was that a bad idea. alls i hear is motor now, it sucks. anyone know where i can get my hands on the parts to do the lifter swap?...i need to do this asap...im sick of all the stares sitting in traffic. the truck looks good but sounds like crap.
biunderground   +1y
^^^^ dont worry i have the same issue
90-b22dawg [andrew]   +1y
you can get the lifters/head off a 2.0l truck... try a junk yard???