threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.2L \  2.2 dies when it wants to!!!

2.2 dies when it wants to!!!

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1588
replies 10
following 4

j-bird   +1y
rebuilt 2 yrs ago 2.2,As i was told by the other owner. 87 219K miles 2.2 manual, weber carb( i put in)
It dies sometimes just out of the blue. And also when i turn the right turn Signal on( thats right just the right turn) but not all the time. also it has a hard time starting,i'll have to give it some gas. And once in a while it will idle for a while (5 mins) and then just shut off. Also once and a while when it dies it will backfire! I'm thinking Intake leak or manual sending unit! ANY IDEAS????
j-bird   +1y
well today i finished installing a new starter. Damn truck started up nice and smooth. I took it for a 5 mile test drive and tried everything that would make it stall to stall and nothing. I just got back in from another test run,Damn it runs smooth. Just alittle high on the ideling like usually. This weekend i'll be changing out my sedning unit.
mike84   +1y
Mine dies if I turn on the heater on full blast. I have checked my battery, and alternator. I think there may be a wire that is causing a short with your ignition when you turn on your blinker. That happened in one of my old vehicles. As for mine, I am going to start looking for a new harness. the previous owner rigged a bunch of switches and alarm. So I know mine has some wiring faults...
j-bird   +1y

Took out my sending unit of my truck and i found this filter hangin on it. The filter has a hook on it but it wasn't hooked on,Nor could it! The was on the inlet tub and when it was in the tank it gave the tub about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch of space to pump gas. So i think this was my issue. I don't think the filter should of been on there. Any on else have this type of filter or any type on the Manual sending unit ???
91b2200(cody)   +1y
that just might be your problem..lol

you fix it yet?
j-bird   +1y
should be done tomorrow......or sunday
hocbj23   +1y
yeah actually it does belong on there.theblack plastic piece on top of the filter snaps around the inlet tube and the inlet tube should go into the top of the filter where the hole' is.
j-bird   +1y
The filter does not snap onto the inlet tubing. It just sat loose on the inlet tube, What i think it was doing was lifting up when there was pressure in the inlet tube. Also i bought a new sending unit and it did not come with a filter,Nor did the instructions tell me to have one!
j-bird   +1y
The truck is running great! Now onto upgrades!!!
j-bird   +1y
Did alittle upgrading this weekend, Noticed my fuel filter was alittle dirty so i changed that. And a few weeks ago i noticed that they're was some what alot of oil (dirty oil) comming from my valve gasket, so i checked it out. I found all the bolts loss a few of them i could get 4 good turns before it got finger tight. So i replaced that. and cleaned it up very nice. Looks good. Next pace setter NON PAINTED Headers,I'll pay the alittle extra for the quility!