Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.2L \  HOW DO I TUNE MY CARB?

HOW DO I TUNE MY CARB?

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2119
replies 14
following 7

p3arlb2200   +1y
I got emissions testing coming up next month and i wanted to know how to tune my carb. i know its running lean and ive never messed with carburators much so pictures would be great help as i dont know much about them. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Erik
mazdawg(mikey)   +1y
the factory carb doesnt have much in a way of tuning like with a lean rich screw or something very easily. there is a spot on the carb that has a plug, almost like a rivet, that you can drill out and there is a screw under it. my friend years ago had this old mechanic do this to his truck. it ran like a champ, but gas mileage was horrible.
p3arlb2200   +1y
how horrible was the gas mileage?
mazdawg(mikey)   +1y
15MPH
lowered_impressions   +1y
thats slow lol
lowered_impressions   +1y
There is an article from some car guys on the net, tells you how to pull the pin and adjust the mixture using a dwell meter. Very good article if I can find it I'll post the link
p3arlb2200   +1y
THANK YOU SIR
oicu812   +1y
you can also advance or retard the timing by just adjusting your distributor. I had a friend that had to advance his timing to get the right emissions to pass for the state then he just adjusted it back down after the state looked at it, don't know if that will help. If you don't know how I can post some pics tomorrow on how to adjust the timing. lmk
mazdatweaker   +1y
post deleted
Post was last edited on May 13, 2009 12:05. This post has been edited 1 times.
p3arlb2200   +1y
yes i get a free retest and it is a 2.2. evrytime i first step on the pedal in any gear it seems like it wants to die down but once its runniing it stays running unless i give it too much gas. i gave it a major tune-up including the fuel filter. i also got a big exhaust leak to fix