threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.2L \  Running like crap! Please help :)

Running like crap! Please help :)

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2052
replies 10
following 7

uglyblacktruck   +1y
Hey guys. I have an 88 b2200. When I first got it, it would smoke like crazy when it was cold and the choke was engaged. It sat for quite a while so I attributed it to that. I tied the choke open to stop pissing off my neighbors. I got it on the road last week and it was fine for a few days. I don't have a tach, but at certain RPM's it sometimes stumbles, and it was idling way to high. I took it for it's maiden highway voyage and when I got off the highway it stalled and started stumbling when I started it back up. Once I got going, it would smooth out again. When I got home I cut the ties off the choke thinking that might be the problem. It's a little better but still pretty messed up. Now when I stop it idles okay for about 10 seconds. After that the idle gradually slows until it starts stumbling again and finally stalls. It still stumbles at certain rpms to Any Ideas?
toddluck   +1y
if it sat for any lenght og f time you prolly need to clean out the carb really good might be gummeed up a lil bit
uglyblacktruck   +1y
I tried that last night. But thank you.
slammed dimensions   +1y
If is sat for awhile it could be old gas. Maybe run some fuel system cleaner in it and change the fuel filter. See what that does.
uglyblacktruck   +1y
I don't know. I've had it for about 6 months and I've put gas in it a few times since I've had it. I've just been starting it every coyuple of days untill last week when I got it registered. It never did it till I took it on the highway. It's got an exhaust leak off the back of the cat. you can see flames where the exhaust leak is. That kinda scares me a little. lol But I don't think it's the cat cause it's after the cat.
uglyblacktruck   +1y
uglyblacktruck
Okay. I pulled my fuel filter and checked the gas in it. It's clean. I checked my PCV, tested the coil, looked for vacuum leaks and changed my cap, rotor and plugs. Now it's fine while I'm moving, but it still idles really rough. It pops and starts smoking. No more flames though. I think the smell is gas. not really sure. It idles really high when I first stop. Then after sitting there for about 10 seconds the idle drops till it starts running like crap.
nonamedsomebody   +1y
Double check your timing sounds like it may be off a bit or you've got a low idle miss. It's a mazda it's gonna smoke nothing you can really do about that what color is the smoke? I believe they run a little rich until they warm up the O2 sensor don't work till its at a certain temp.
sleepyspeed   +1y
you really need to look into pulling that carb apart or replacing it. It sounds like your idle circuit is still plugged up. It is the smallest ports/jets in the carb that's why it is the first to plug up and the last to clear it's self. If you can drive it a lot you may be able to correct it with a lot of fuel system cleaner an dissolve the gummy residue.
racer x 2010   +1y
the same thing is happaning to me im thinking about going with a weber carb whats the best one
nonamedsomebody   +1y
Try reving it up at a high rpm and close the choke butterfly. create a high suction in the carb may help clean it out. do this a few times.