Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.2L \  manual to automatic engine question

manual to automatic engine question

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1480
replies 3
following 3

1smoothdawg   +1y
My 90 B2200 engine has an automatic tranny. I am replacing the engine with an engine that had a manual trans. I am going to use the automatic transmission. Do I need to remove the bearing in the end of the crank or, will the torque converter "nipple" still fit with it in there? It looks like it will be close but, I was just wanting to make sure by asking here first.
If I do need to remove it, what is the best way?
Post was last edited on Sep 21, 2008 03:09. This post has been edited 1 times.
90-b22dawg [andrew]   +1y
your question is a little confusing... so you're replacing the auto for a manual? or you replaced the motor with one that was auto trans and am swapping to a manual?
1smoothdawg   +1y
edited the post..hopes that makes it a little less confusing.
mtrain   +1y
I just went through this. My motor that I rebuilt came from behind a manual tranny. The "hub" on the end of the crankshaft, the hole is just a bit smaller than the nipple on the torque converter.

I don't remember if I used the hub from my engine or the engine that I rebuilt, which is why I say check first to see if the nipple from the TC will fit into the hub. If it fits then its good to go. If not then this is what I did.

I used one of those multi-sized drill bits to enlarge the hole in the hub. Then I used the drimmel tool with a sanding bit to smooth out the hole. You want to make sure to keep test fitting the torque converter {TC} for fitment so that it will not move around after installation.

Also get some studs for the TC to flywheel. This made it easier to bolt the TC to the fly wheel. Just don't install the studs until after the tranny is bolted to the engine as the studs will interfere with the trans and the engine comming together.
Page 1 of 1