Page 1 of 1
Mazda 2.2L \  installing a 2.0 head on a 2.2 block

installing a 2.0 head on a 2.2 block

Mazda 2.2L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1325
replies 4
following 4

maztang (ryan)   +1y
i did this on my 89 b2200 and it can be done very easily with minimal tools. i believe there is a tech article on here about it. but if you are tired of the ticking noises coming from your 2.2 hydraulic head, you can either swap over to the 2.0 solid lifter head or swap the rocker assy. and say good by to floated lifters. when i did mine, i put the 2 heads side by side and saw absolutely no vissual differences. but i later sold my 89 to beau martin and he loves it. never had any problems and he has been driving it for roughly the last 6 months and i drove it for about a year before i sold it with this done. also, on a side note, i saw a noticeable increase in power when i did the swap. don't know if it was because of how i set my lifters or what but there was a difference.

ryan
90-b22dawg [andrew]   +1y
ebay has quite a bit of useful parts to do a head replacement....
91b2200(cody)   +1y
why would you wanna put a 2.0 head on a 2.2 block ?? just wondering
pont   +1y
the heads are 100% the same. its the lifters that are different. The 2.0 has manual ones that you have to adjust every so often. the 2.2 have the hydro ones that when they get old they don't work to well and cost allot to replace.
maztang (ryan)   +1y
yeah, the 2.2 has the hydraulic lifter assy which float very easily if you over rev. plus the cheapest ones that i have personally found were like 12 bucks a piece. pretty messed up how a 350 lifter which is like 3 times bigger than a 2.2 lifter is only like a buck 50 for a lifter but a 2.2's lifter is 12 bucks. how that works i have no idea. haha. but that is really the only reason for the swap is to get rid of that god awful lifter tick that you will eventually hear.
Page 1 of 1