Mazda Diesel \  HELP 2.2l RF Diesel Not Running Right

HELP 2.2l RF Diesel Not Running Right

Mazda Diesel Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1251
replies 4
following 3

aaron001au   +1y
Hey all

I got a 1990 2.2l RF diesel motor in my bravo , just did i timing belt change and as i was unsure when it was done last and then couldn't get the car to start , noticed that it was out by 2 teeth so fixed it up so every thing was lined up to the timing marks now when i go to start it the motor shakes violently then kicks over i have to hold the rev's up for about 1 min then it idles but idles a little rough and the motor sounds loud like real tappy now , i also changed the glow plugs as they hadn't been done in a while

i suspect the injector pump timing might be out but have no idea how to check it as the timing mark for it was lined up

any idea what it could be guy ?? if you need any further information let me know

thanks in advance for you help
89bluedemon   +1y
I am not a diesel mechanic nor do I know much about them. But what you are describing sounds like something is 180 out or the crankshaft was not at TDC #1. The injector pump has 2 bolt holes you can use once its lined up to keep the pulley stationary (or so I've read) and the camshaft has the typical mark that lines up with the mark on the housing behind it. Is there any way you can post a picture of the actual timing marks on that engine?
aaron001au   +1y

all the timing marks where lined up to the marks on the case then the pulleys where bolted so they didnt move and the belt was put back on , i think the injector pump timing might be out , i think i might just send it in to the mechanics to get looked at / fixed but just thought i would ask on here first incase it was a easy fix
emjay   +1y
sounds like to me that the timing on the injector pump is a bit advanced. I'm not sure how it works on the RFs with the front mount pump, but on the rear mount pump there is a set of marks to line it up, then a fine touch adjustment for it's orientation. If it runs but rough I'm willing to bet that the teeth on the pump/belt are lined up properly, and it just needs a slight adjustment (like advancing/retarding a distributor.)
aaron001au   +1y

thats 100% what i was thinking , im just going to send it in somewhere to get checked over incase I've missed something , this is my first diesel so im trying to learn from it but at the same time have next to no knowledge about them
Page 1 of 1