Page 1 of 1
Southwest \  starting problem

starting problem

Southwest Events
views 2321
replies 3
following 3

low85   +1y
I have a 1989 mazda b2200 pickup with a starting problem when I turn the key to the start position and it starts but as soon as I let off the key to go to the run position the engine dies but as long as I hold the key in the start position it will stay running someone said it's the ignition switch has any body else had this problem if so could use a little help thank you
Cusser   +1y

Has any body else had this problem? Almost EVERYBODY here - including me - has had this happen, just like you describe. Bad electrical part of the ignition switch. I recommend new, not used, so many go bad. R&R is straightforward. Mine went out in 1995, only available through dealer then. Not so today.
wicked   +1y
Yes,I had the same problem.I ordered a new switch from autozone for 100 bucks I think it was.Replacing is easy.On mine all the connections were behind the cluster,plug and play.Just have to grind some slots into the rounded screws to get then off and back on.
Cusser   +1y
I remember that my factory replacement electrical switch did not come with the two needed tiny push nuts for the buzzer part. So I had to pick those up at Ace Hardware, in the little drawers, like 5 cents each.

There were basically four assemblies cable tied together in these switch assemblies. So technically, you could separate the new wire harness and just replace the one that goes to the ignition switch. Either way, don't throw away, you have spares for the other three harnesses.
Page 1 of 1