Southeast \  DadandSonEyes 1989 MAZDA Rebuild - HEAD

DadandSonEyes 1989 MAZDA Rebuild - HEAD

Southeast Events
views 1987
replies 6
following 3

dadandsoneyes   +1y

OK Everyone,

We finally have the Engine Pulled out! I'm attaching the pictures to this thread of the gears, chain, woodruff Key, broken gears, and the NEWLY REBUILT HEAD WE JUST HAD DONE. SEE BELOW

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
dadandsoneyes   +1y

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

Please provide feedback and advice! We plan to replace the broken gear and Timing and Balance Chain, not sure if we also NEED or SHOULD replace the TIMING GEAR (LARGE ONE ON CAM) or not. Any advice from Experience folds on this 1989 B2600i Engine is greatly appreciated.

ALSO, We would like to get rid of that cumbersome FAN! Advice on EASY INSTALLATION OF NEWER MORE IMPROVED FANS, FLEX FANS or ELECTRIC FANS ? This truck is EQUIPPED WITH AIR CONDITIONING ALSO. We want to REPLACE the RADIATOR AND THE A/C RADIATOR(in front right behind grill). ANY UPGRADES recommended for better design and improved efficiency? THIS IS THE SE-5 4X4 Cab Plus Truck

WE ALSO WANT BETTER FUEL Economy. The book says this engine only gets abotu 19MPG. What other improvements could we do before we get this entire Engine put all back together(don't want to pull it again for a long long long time, want it like new , LOW MAINTENANCE UPGRADES ANYONE ? )

WE NEED TO PURCHASE NEW CLUTCH ALSO WHile this engine is out. Clutch bearing was in pieces when we removed the pressure plate and slip disc. Should we have the fly wheel turned ? Hints, Advice ?

EXHAUST: What about HEADERS/ UPGRADING EXHAUST - Recommendations for improved fuel economy and Power ? and Muffler ( Magna FLOW ? Want a nice deep low "cam" sounding muffler )

Thanks for all help everybody!

DadandSonEyes - RALEIGH, NC
dadandsoneyes   +1y
Oh. I forgot to ask. We can NoT get the power steering pump pulley off. I tried to see if there is a retaining ring on the opening in middle of the pulley where the shaft comes throughout it. It looks like a ring but there are no tiny eyelet holes to use that weird pair of pliers that open the would be ring. I tried a pulley puller. It just bent the pulley all up. So I can't get the damn pwr steering pump off the oil pump cover/ housing.

How else can I get that greasy thing off?

DadandSonEyes
sincitylocal   +1y
There is a puller made just for power steering pump pulleys.
A gear puller will tweak 'em every time!
axel breaker earl   +1y
It's been a while since I removed mine, but isn't there a hole in the pulley that you can feed a socket through and just unbolt the 3 bolts that mount the pump to the bracket?
I'll look tomorrow and see what it's like.......I may have a pic of the pump, but it will be like searching for a needle in a haystack!
dadandsoneyes   +1y
We loosened the three bolts but the heads just run into the back of the pulley. Won't come out enough to get the pump off of the bracket and the oil pump front plate! Ugh! We used a three arm pulley puller. All it did was bend up the pulley. What a pain. HELP!!!
Page 1 of 1