threads
Page 1 of 1
Dually Suspension \  Alcoas with stock GM center caps?

Alcoas with stock GM center caps?

Dually Suspension Dually Tech
views 2127
replies 9
following 5

camperspecial   +1y
I'm wondering how people are managing to make that happen? Alcoas take the "mag style" or shanked lug nuts, and the stock GM center caps take the external threaded "acorn" style lug nuts to hold them on. but I've seen it on here, and on a dually listed on e-bay, so I know it can be done, just wondering how? I found some 9/16 acorn lug nuts with external threads for the black lug nut covers, but I have never seen a shanked lug nut with external threads...
someotherguy   +1y
Which Alcoas - for what application? The ones I've seen use a 2 piece lug nut - in other words with an integral washer that goes flat against the face of the mounting flange. Alcoa copies like the Eagle wheel might take a shanked lug.

GM has some 2 piece lugs with the external thread, I ran them on the Frito 8 lug 19.5's I had on my 98 crew cab, and ran the GM center caps. They fit better this way vs. using the regular acorn lug and the clamp ring.

thread post photo

Richard
camperspecial   +1y
well that explains it right there... these are the eagle alloy copy's, just went and looked. thanks man.
camperspecial   +1y
and I know exactly which lug nut your talking about, just had a wheel off a cab and chassis at the body shop where I work that took those.
someotherguy   +1y
I wonder if someone out there makes a shanked lug with external threads. That'd be an uncommon item for sure. Maybe cruise the MrLugnut website or something? Probably doesn't exist but you never know.

Richard
camperspecial   +1y
yeah, I hunted for them a while back to no avail. I kinda screwed up... I thought these were alcoas the whole time, so I found some custom lugnuts that were 9/16 inside with the acorn taper, and the metric external threads for the plastic nut covers. Then I even went as far as to have the factory retainer rings powder coated black, and found some late model GM chrome center caps off an '02 or so dually, only to pull the wheel off to which I immediately started cussing. The wheels were on this truck when I bought it, and I'm just now getting around to building it, but have been collecting parts and hoarding them for a while now. Wanting to be prepared bit me in the ass this go round. Shit was like setting fire to a couple of Benjamins. oh well, live and learn.
58deluxerag   +1y
I used the stock acorn external threaded lug nuts on my alcoas to run the stock caps. But my wheels were originally 10 lug wheels and those were wleded up and redrilled to 8 with a taper for the acorn lugs.
503majestics   +1y
Looking for some center caps for my wheels also. Anyone know where i can get a set from?
bhb   +1y
I run 4 acorn dual thread lugs, and 4 two piece dual thread lugs on each wheel.
someotherguy   +1y

Curious why the mix-and-match? What type of stud holes do your wheels have, flat or beveled? With beveled you should be running the 60
Page 1 of 1