threads
Page 1 of 1
Dually Wheels Tires \  Semi Alcoa 24 inch tires recommend for front end load weight

Semi Alcoa 24 inch tires recommend for front end load weight

Dually Wheels Tires Dually Tech
views 2291
replies 5
following 5

the original emartin   +1y
Well first I'm want to introduce myself my name is Erik and I'm from Houston tx I have an 02 dodge dually cummins 5spd with 24 inch semi wheels and sitting pretty low currently running 275/30/24 XL extra load lion hart tires with load rating of 1819 lbs. my concerns are will these hold the weight of the front end or will I have belt problems? Any suggestions will be appreciated
slimneverdies   +1y
Hey there Erik. I'm wondering the same thing. Did you ever get your answer? I'm looking at a Pirreli 285/30/24
someotherguy   +1y
1819 lbs is kind of puny for an XL rated tire but I guess that comes with the territory of super-short sidewall on a 24. I'm used to seeing ratings at 2000 lbs minimum but I don't really mess with anything bigger than 20's. Maybe step up to a better brand than some Chinese stuff like those Lionharts and you might gain some capacity?

The Pirelli slim mentioned is a 1929 lb rating in the P Zero Nero M&S.

So the next question is, what is your front axle weight? Because with the Lionharts you're at 3638 lbs capacity between the 2 front tires.

Also remember when looking at rear capacity most tires have a slightly lower rating when used in dual config. It will be marked on the sidewall.

Richard
slimneverdies   +1y
Thanks someotherguy, I'm more concerned with the tongue weight over the rear that will be applied from my 8000lbs cargo trailer. I'm thinking I'm in the safe zone but I need to figure out the tongue weight...
krewzlo   +1y
Bumper pull or gooseneck? bumper pull tongue weight should be about 10% of trailer weight, gooseneck should be about 25% so even with a 20,000lb gooseneck your max tongue weight will be about 5000lb, but also will distribute some of that weight to the front axle. Don't worry on the rear, you have 4 tires to handle the weight. Be more concerned with the front if anything. Only two tires, engine weight and side forces on the sidewalls from turning, etc.
Artsar   +1y
Slightly off topic but what size do you guys recommend for a bagged dually on 24s
Page 1 of 1